gear install kit and replacing clutches 9.75??

Old 04-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gear install kit and replacing clutches 9.75??

My clutches in my 9.75 rear end need to be replaced. I am putting 4.56 gears in my truck and was wondering how much work it is to replace them while you already have it apart?? Also i was wondering which is a good install kit to use when re-gearing? I have Yukon gears but i have not purchased the install kit yet. I think i am just going to have a shop do the install because i don't feel comfortable attempting it myself.

Thanks for the help!!!
Kevin

Old 04-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Just went through a 4.56 gear swap with Yukons. I went with the Master install kit but it's almost as much as the gears but worth it for the shop installing them to get your truck done and off their lift in one day !

Old 04-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buy a master install kit with your yukons. you have a 2000 f-150 and you probably need new bearings anyway. As for the rear-end, I think you can get a clutch kit for 40 bucks. As for install, i have heard you can do the work without removing the differential. Therefore, labor to replace the clutches in the rear end shouldnt be too expensive.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Ya the clutches need to be replaaced and i'm sure it could use new bearings also. I know i need a master install kit but yukons kit is $$$. I guess i should probably just get the yukon master install kit instead of being and looking for alternative install kit brands

Thanks for the help

Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Yukon install kits are quality install kits, But so are precision kits, both are timken bearings, and actually I like precision shims and crush sleeves better they are stouter than the raytech stuff. Check my prices on the install kit for your application I bet they are better than what you have been looking at. www.eastcoastgearsupply.com

Old 05-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Kevin, I used the Genuine Gear Master Install Kit for my rear end. You can get it for just under 200 bucks from 4 wheel parts. It has new Timken (Probably some of the best and highest quality) bearings for the differential. I looked at the Yukon kit too and it was ridiculous. You will be fine with the Genuine kit.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Originally Posted by tnsilverfx4
Kevin, I used the Genuine Gear Master Install Kit for my rear end. You can get it for just under 200 bucks from 4 wheel parts. It has new Timken (Probably some of the best and highest quality) bearings for the differential. I looked at the Yukon kit too and it was ridiculous. You will be fine with the Genuine kit.
Ya the Yukon kit is priced very high IMO. I just can't see paying as much for thew install kit as the gears!! I got my Yukon gears new in the box for $125 off ebay
Thanks again for the help Also your truck looks great!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 AM
i have the genuine gears install kit in mine. too

have a shop put it on...TRust me on this one....

Old 05-07-2008, 07:48 AM
Just some advice form someone who does this for a living. Geniune kits do not have true timken bearings in them they are bearings that are claimed to be a product of timken. they are a much cheaper chineese made bearing that timken owns, the seals that come in the kits are also chineese and junk. they also skip on stuff that you need like oil slingers and such. For those that have the geniune kits and have been fine, thats great they are new bearings and they will last for an extended period of time. However seems like you guys are driving your trucks alot on the roads, w/ higher horse power and bigger tires. Why would you install soemthing that is inferior to what came out of it. replacing a seal and or a pinion bearing 1 year down the road is going to increase the cost alot, the pinion bearingngoing out could take out your gears and now you r looking at the expense of regearing a second time. With thte warranties we offer on our stuff. we have to use the best products on the market, and in the longrun it saves evryone money. If you don't like a price onmy site, call me we can work around it. But don't sacrafice american quality to save a few bucks.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks buddy I appreciate it.
If the bearings are or are not "true" Timkens I am satisfied with them. They came in a Timken box with a Timken logo on them. The same argument is made for Yukon gears and other gears for that matter. People say that the gears "are all bought from the same cutting company and poured in china or taiwan or cut in america." I have Yukons which claim to be cut in America and I'm happy with them. I beat them when im on the trail and I love to smoke rice burners at intersections. However you see may see it, I will say that I am happy with my Yukon gearset and genuine gear install kit.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
they did not come in a timken box, and they may or may not have said timken if they did say timken they said made by timken. You are correct yukon does not cut or pour any of there gears they are rebrands of many different brands, they have had a great marketing campaign to make people believe that there gears are great, but they are only as good as who makes them. Precisions do cut there own gears and those of many other companies. All im saying is for your $200 dollars for the genuine kit you can get a much better kit just not from yukon. And had you been the installer you would have been more happy with a non-genuine kit as they are usually missing stuff you really wish you had.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 PM
They got the job done.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Since you keep on talking i will go ahead and add....... Im glad you have 5 months on a set of bearings and you think that is good and thats what you base your recomendatrion on. If you want to stick with that go ahead I expect a bit more.

but to more prove your ignorance, earlier in this post you said you heard you did not need to remove the differential to replace the clutches. I wonder what this means? you cetainly have to pull the carrier and the spider/side gears to replace the clutches. You obviously have no clue about a rear end so why would you make any recomendatoins like you do.

If this is a tech forum I would expect good tech and advice to be given.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by ECGS
Since you keep on talking i will go ahead and add....... Im glad you have 5 months on a set of bearings and you think that is good and thats what you base your recomendatrion on. If you want to stick with that go ahead I expect a bit more.

but to more prove your ignorance, earlier in this post you said you heard you did not need to remove the differential to replace the clutches. I wonder what this means? you cetainly have to pull the carrier and the spider/side gears to replace the clutches. You obviously have no clue about a rear end so why would you make any recomendatoins like you do.

If this is a tech forum I would expect good tech and advice to be given.
I thought this was a forum, don't we talk on here? I didn't know I was breaking any rules or codes of conduct?

Listen here buddy, Im just answering the OP's question and giving my two cents. I think that he will be ok and Im offering my testimonial to help the OP in his decision on what to do. Unlike yourself, I am not trying to sell and push my product online. I understand you are biased to what you think is best and I guess I am as well because the only experience I have is with what I have used.

So then you tell me that I am ignorant because of what I have heard on this site about LS clutch installation? The OP asked a question and I said that "I heard." Obviously I am implying that i have been told this information, but I'm not saying that I am the original source. I would like to say that I am quite educated on rear-ends and have done alot of research on my purchases. If am wrong, then just say that I am wrong. Don't insult me. I'm more than open to be corrected and learning something in the process.All you are proving is that you are the ignorant one.

If you want people to think you are a jerk, then you are off to a good start.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:47 PM
If you read, you will notice in my first post I said that yukon kits were quality kits, I do not sell yukon kits b/c I think there gears are hit or miss.

I don't care if you purchase from me or from yukon or whoever just don't say that a Genuine kit is a good kit, b/c its not, its junk, be american stand up for something, I am tired of companies pawning off crappy products to make a buck, you the consumer is helping them by saying it is good. If you can't spring for the yukon kit, I offered a lower cost solution that is still high quality.

By and large I think yukon install kits are the best kits on the market for quality and what is included in them. Perfect for the do it yourselfer and nice for the shop.

If I am an ignorant jerk for being fed up with all the **** coming from china, then so be it, it just really irritates me when someone says its a good product. I wonder why the american economy is on a downslope when we the consumer won't spend a few extra bucks to get something thats made better.

No hard feelings towards you my apologies if i offended you. It's just patriotism for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gear install kit and replacing clutches 9.75??