Possible blown rear differential seal

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible blown rear differential seal

Hello everyone.
I have been a ford owner for 16 years now and between me and my family we have owned over 18 different ford vehicles. That being said, I am currently driving a 2006 F-150 FX4. I was changing my rear breaks last night and when I took off the passanger side rear drum there was greese all over the parking break. I talked to my brother and we believe that it is the rear differential seal. Now it has been quite some time since I have done any maintenance on a truck other then the normal stuff. Anyone have a tips, links or advice as to how to get this done. Are there any electronic repair instructions posted.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help and if I posted this in the wrong place sry.

Last edited by Johny Bravo; 04-22-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:56 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If you are still on warranty, take it over to the dealer. I believe this may be covered under the extended powertrain warranty.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:35 PM
first put on jack stands and take off tires........ok first off take of your rear diff cover step 2,there is a pin going between 2 of ur spider gears this needs to be removed[on my 02' i think it was a 8mm bolt] after this is out your pin should pull right out, step 3 push in on your axel from the out side it should go in about a half inch once it is pushed in this should expose a "C" clip use a pair of needle nose pliyers to pull this off the axelafter this u should be able to pull out the axel now a tip on getting the seal out..put the end of the axel into the seal about a quarter inch and pull towords u and it will pop right out... to get the new seal in get a big *** socket i cant reamember what size i used any ways palce the seal in the axel and gently tap it in using the socket and a hammer tap it in evanly though,now just reapeate this step on the outher side and u are done......to get it back together just reapeat all the steps backwards

ps i used coper gasscet silicone as a seal around the diff cover,make sure to fill with new diff fluid.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 PM
above was good info, also when you jack it up check for slop in the wheel bearing, chances are very good that the bearing is going out and it beat up the seal, you will need to replace both seal and bearing if that is the case, otherwise new seal will just get beat up again.

Quick Reply: Possible blown rear differential seal