Front Differential Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Differential Leak

Hey guys. Just noticed this morning that the front differential is leaking on my 2001 Supercrew.

It appears to be leaking from the differential cover, near the bottom.

How difficult is it to replace the seal? I am going to check the breather today and make sure there is no blockage.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the forums.
Hope the diff isn't leakin too bad. If it makes a drip, definitely get it checked out. If i remember correctly, you have to drop the whole front diff to get the cover off. There is a mounting bolt hole molded to the diff cover, one of three bolts that actually hold the center section of the diff in the truck. once the cover is off, it just seals up with RTV.
Just want to be sure that you are'nt seeing oil from the engine oil filter drip pan that goes just over the front diff cover there. I wipe that pan out completely every time i change the filter to prevent old oil from seeping into all those areas and giving me a false oil leak. Wipe all those grimy areas down, and look and see if that seepage from the drip pan isn't gettin on your diff.
Once again, WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!
Hope this info helps.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:47 PM
After digging a little deeper - it is NOT the differential. It is the oil sending unit leaking where the wire goes in - leaking pretty good too. $5.43 at Parts plus. Will change it out tommorrow.

Thanks for the response!

Quick Reply: Front Differential Leak