Driving in 4wd on paved roads in the snow!

Old 02-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in 4wd on paved roads in the snow!

Hey all its been a little while since I posted here, but I thought this might be a good question for all my fellow f-150 drivers out there.

I live in Northern California in Redding and spend some time on the highways in the winter. My question is that when the chain controls go up I kick it into 4wd and go. Is there a limit to the number of miles that I can drive in 4wd or should drive in 4wd?

I remember hearing about disconnecting the front drive shaft when driving a long distance in 4wd but am not sure.

Thanks everyone for your help and its nice to be back on the forums.

TDawg

Old 02-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by TDawg
Hey all its been a little while since I posted here, but I thought this might be a good question for all my fellow f-150 drivers out there.

I live in Northern California in Redding and spend some time on the highways in the winter. My question is that when the chain controls go up I kick it into 4wd and go. Is there a limit to the number of miles that I can drive in 4wd or should drive in 4wd?

I remember hearing about disconnecting the front drive shaft when driving a long distance in 4wd but am not sure.

Thanks everyone for your help and its nice to be back on the forums.

TDawg
No limit or anything like that, but if the roads are clear just pull it/switch it back to 2wd. What do you mean by disconnecting the front drive shaft while in 4x4? Why would you disconnect it, then 4 wheel drive would be inop.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Suspended
I drove three hundred miles in the snow once. Kept it under 40. I think after 175k miles of driving, the truck had been driven maybe 600 in 4 wheel drive.

As to disconnecting something, maybe that is if you towed the truck?

Old 02-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can disconnect the front drive shafto on an all wheel drive suv if you want better gas milage. iv seen quite a few grand cherokees with this done.

as far as 4wd, i have driving quite far in 4wd. just as soon as you dont need it shut it off. your not going to do any damage as long as the roads are slippery. but if you drove in 4wd on dry roads for a while you would start to wear parts down alot faster

Old 02-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
you can disconnect the front drive shafto on an all wheel drive suv if you want better gas milage. iv seen quite a few grand cherokees with this done.

as far as 4wd, i have driving quite far in 4wd. just as soon as you dont need it shut it off. your not going to do any damage as long as the roads are slippery. but if you drove in 4wd on dry roads for a while you would start to wear parts down alot faster
X2

Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Cool thank you! For disconnecting the front axle I thought I was referring to something that was recommend by ford for driving a long distance in 4wd.

As always awesome info here,

TDawgbass

Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by TDawgBass
Cool thank you! For disconnecting the front axle I thought I was referring to something that was recommend by ford for driving a long distance in 4wd.

TDawgbass
It was probably to DISENGAGE the 4x4 when on dry pavement and driving long distances. If you are using the 4x4 on slippery roads, and then they get to the point that they are no longer slippery, take it out of 4x4 and you will be fine.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TDawgBass

TDawgbass
There are discussions about flat towing a 4x4 long distances. The problem is that the drive shaft turns with the wheels. This turns the input shaft of the t-case. As the t-case is bolted to the transmission it will turn the output shaft of the transmission. In an automatic this is a no no. I flat towed my wife's Explorer over 1500 miles with the rear drive shaft removed and the t-case set to 2Hi. I could have installed a neutral kit that shifts the t-case into neutral but it was a lease. For an AWD t-case without the 2Hi setting you need to remove both drive shafts or find a neutral kit. There used to be a note in the Explorers owners manuals about flat towing that mentioned the neutral kit.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving in 4wd on paved roads in the snow!