Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Other Powertrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!





Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Junior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: California
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150 4X4
Posts: 10
Driving in 4wd on paved roads in the snow!

Hey all its been a little while since I posted here, but I thought this might be a good question for all my fellow f-150 drivers out there.

I live in Northern California in Redding and spend some time on the highways in the winter. My question is that when the chain controls go up I kick it into 4wd and go. Is there a limit to the number of miles that I can drive in 4wd or should drive in 4wd?

I remember hearing about disconnecting the front drive shaft when driving a long distance in 4wd but am not sure.

Thanks everyone for your help and its nice to be back on the forums.

TDawg
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
1998 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Western NC
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F-150
Posts: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawg
Hey all its been a little while since I posted here, but I thought this might be a good question for all my fellow f-150 drivers out there.

I live in Northern California in Redding and spend some time on the highways in the winter. My question is that when the chain controls go up I kick it into 4wd and go. Is there a limit to the number of miles that I can drive in 4wd or should drive in 4wd?

I remember hearing about disconnecting the front drive shaft when driving a long distance in 4wd but am not sure.

Thanks everyone for your help and its nice to be back on the forums.

TDawg
No limit or anything like that, but if the roads are clear just pull it/switch it back to 2wd. What do you mean by disconnecting the front drive shaft while in 4x4? Why would you disconnect it, then 4 wheel drive would be inop.
__________________

Minus the 2 large cats:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RqUGdHwOsc
Other Exhaust Vids:http://www.youtube.com/user/joshmac46
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Suspended
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North of Dallas Tx
Vehicle: 07 King Ranch
Posts: 2,235
I drove three hundred miles in the snow once. Kept it under 40. I think after 175k miles of driving, the truck had been driven maybe 600 in 4 wheel drive.

As to disconnecting something, maybe that is if you towed the truck?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
1994 Ford F-250
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
Posts: 2,473
you can disconnect the front drive shafto on an all wheel drive suv if you want better gas milage. iv seen quite a few grand cherokees with this done.

as far as 4wd, i have driving quite far in 4wd. just as soon as you dont need it shut it off. your not going to do any damage as long as the roads are slippery. but if you drove in 4wd on dry roads for a while you would start to wear parts down alot faster
__________________

"Half the ability to get the job done is not being afraid to try. 90% of the time you wont screw it up any worse then it already is"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Suspended
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: North of Dallas Tx
Vehicle: 07 King Ranch
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
you can disconnect the front drive shafto on an all wheel drive suv if you want better gas milage. iv seen quite a few grand cherokees with this done.

as far as 4wd, i have driving quite far in 4wd. just as soon as you dont need it shut it off. your not going to do any damage as long as the roads are slippery. but if you drove in 4wd on dry roads for a while you would start to wear parts down alot faster
X2
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-25-2008, 03:03 AM
Junior Member
Garage is empty, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brentwood
Vehicle: 1998 Ford F150
Posts: 3
Cool thank you! For disconnecting the front axle I thought I was referring to something that was recommend by ford for driving a long distance in 4wd.

As always awesome info here,

TDawgbass
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
2003 Chevrolet Silverado
My Garage
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Towanda PA
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F150
Posts: 339
Send a message via MSN to shakin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawgBass
Cool thank you! For disconnecting the front axle I thought I was referring to something that was recommend by ford for driving a long distance in 4wd.

As always awesome info here,

TDawgbass
It was probably to DISENGAGE the 4x4 when on dry pavement and driving long distances. If you are using the 4x4 on slippery roads, and then they get to the point that they are no longer slippery, take it out of 4x4 and you will be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 AM
JMC JMC is offline
Technical Article Contributor
2000 Ford F-150
 
Join Date: Dec 1997
Location: Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150 4x4
Posts: 9,349
Send a message via ICQ to JMC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDawgBass
Cool thank you! For disconnecting the front axle I thought I was referring to something that was recommend by ford for driving a long distance in 4wd.

As always awesome info here,

TDawgbass
There are discussions about flat towing a 4x4 long distances. The problem is that the drive shaft turns with the wheels. This turns the input shaft of the t-case. As the t-case is bolted to the transmission it will turn the output shaft of the transmission. In an automatic this is a no no. I flat towed my wife's Explorer over 1500 miles with the rear drive shaft removed and the t-case set to 2Hi. I could have installed a neutral kit that shifts the t-case into neutral but it was a lease. For an AWD t-case without the 2Hi setting you need to remove both drive shafts or find a neutral kit. There used to be a note in the Explorers owners manuals about flat towing that mentioned the neutral kit.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
__________________
Regards
Jean Marc Chartier


4.6 to 5.4 swap, M5OD w/ Hurst short throw, Warn XD9000i, OBX Long Tubes /w Cats, Troyer E-fans, P-1SC Procharger @15psi, Troyer tuned. ;)
Swap notes; http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...ml#post3570245
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 AM


 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 AM.


 
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Contact Us Advertising Privacy Statement Terms of Service Jobs Forum Text Archives
Emails & Contact Details