OEM or after market diff clutches

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM or after market diff clutches

All
I need to change the clutches in the rear diff of my 03. Id like to go OEM. But was told by a owner of a trans/diff shop Ford parts suck. Has anyone use Ford clutches,steels and springs. I like OEM and try to use them always.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just finished rebuilding the clutch packs in my rear diff, mine was completely toast and the truck was behaving like it had an open diff. There were some aftermarket frictions plates in there (not sure what brand) but many of them had broken tabs (the friction tabs that go inside / spin the carrier)

I did a whack of research and found mixed opinions about the ford kit. Most people that had issues with the ford clutches beat on their trucks pretty bad. Others have been running them for years without issues. Based on that, I opted to use the ford kit.. was $47 CDN so not too bad.

What size diff do you have?
If you aren't drag racing and beating the snot out of it, stock ford clutch pack should be fine for you IMO.

Edit:
Used aftermarket friction discs have friction material covering entire surface of disc (more grabby). Ford frictions have gaps to allow for lubrication.
Name:  20150618_135027.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  273.8 KB

Name:  20150618_130203.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  238.6 KB

Last edited by shoon; 06-20-2015 at 04:33 PM.

Quick Reply: OEM or after market diff clutches