front end noise

Old 09-27-2007, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front end noise

Hi. I need some help pinpointing a howling noise coming from the front left of my 99 F-150 4x4. The noise is minimal until i'm on the highway at speeds of70mph or greater. It almost sounds like road noise from the tires but i'm not sure it is because i've had these tires (BFG A/T) for 2 years. It also disappears when turning hard to the left the noise is totally gone. I suspected the front left wheel bearing, but cannot feel any play in it at all. CV joint? There really isn't any vibration associated with the noise. The noise does not change while braking and is still there if i throw it in neutral. Thanks for any help

Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried rotating the tires?

Old 09-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Yes. I had them balanced and rotated. I tried switching to 4HI to see what it does and it doesn't seem as noisy with it in 4WD.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Have you had a front end alignment recently?

Old 09-28-2007, 11:55 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Just because you cannot feel any play does *not* necessarily mean the wheel bearings are good.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Is there any way to check the bearing. I've spun it and it sounded ok. No, i haven't had an alignment done because i see no need to get it done. It tracks straight and my tire wear is not abnormal. The noise is starting to get noisier now at lower speeds so i'm sure its nothing to do with alignment. I'm sure its a wheel bearing, something at the diff, or a cv joint. Just not sure which to change. Thanks

Old 10-05-2007, 07:35 AM
If a vehicle with tires that have agressive tread is out of alignment, you will get more tire noise long before you see abnormal tire wear. Tracking straight does not mean it isn't out of alignment.
Not saying that is the problem for sure, but you just can't assume it is okay.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks. Maybe i'll try getting an alignment done next. Probably the cheapest thing to eliminate anyways.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by allanb
Hi. I need some help pinpointing a howling noise coming from the front left of my 99 F-150 4x4. The noise is minimal until i'm on the highway at speeds of70mph or greater. It almost sounds like road noise from the tires but i'm not sure it is because i've had these tires (BFG A/T) for 2 years. It also disappears when turning hard to the left the noise is totally gone. I suspected the front left wheel bearing, but cannot feel any play in it at all. CV joint? There really isn't any vibration associated with the noise. The noise does not change while braking and is still there if i throw it in neutral. Thanks for any help
Im having a simalar problem w/ my 02 screw. mine sounds like a flat spotted tire i have the factory good 4 nothing wrangler rt/s's my dad seems to think it is a tire problem he rode w/ me yesterday and heard the noise also somtimes it "squeaks" literally im not making this up when the tire is cold any help would be appreciated thanks!!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Alignment didn't seem to cure the problem either. In fact, they said the alignment was perfectly fine. I'm thinking wheel bearing.? Truck has seen a fair amount of mud so it only makes sense....even though they are supposed to be sealed.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Well...not the hub/bearing assembly. Changed that today. CV joints are nice and tight. There is quite a bit of play side to side in the flange coming out of the differential. Is this normal?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:30 PM
This is the EXACT problem i have. Did you find out the problem?

How much did that bearing cost you?

Old 01-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how much play we talking bud? the play your seeing is the axle shaft going from all the way out (against the c-clip inside the carrier) to fully in (usually the axle hitting the pinion shaft from what ive seen, or the outer bearing) should be around 1/4" - 3/16"

Old 01-05-2008, 11:34 PM
I have the exact same problem. Going down I75 today have a drowning kinda howling sound. Its not the tires that has a different tone. Like you as soon as I turn just slightly left the noise goes away. Would love to figure this out before I start throwing money at it.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Noise only when turning

I had a grinding/howling noise on my 06 KR 4x4 only when turning left, even just changing lanes. It was most noticeable from about 20-50 mph but really was there at all speeds just got lower frequency when slow and drowned out by wind and road noise when fast. I jacked up the front end and didn't feel any play or drag when the wheels were spun. I took it to the dealer and it was the wheel bearing/hub assembly on the left front. I hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front end noise