Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Other Powertrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 01-21-2011, 10:15 PM

Vehicle: 1998 ford f150
Not trying to steal the thread but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on my problem. I have a 98 f150 and my 4x4 light stays on it will not go off. The truck is in 2wd right now but I cant shift into 4wd it doesnt engage. The only way I can get into 4wd is by taking and disconnect the vacuum plug on the left of the disconnect motor and plug up the one from the right side in its place then my 4wd works. Does anyone think my disconnect motor is bad or what and why does my 4x4 light stay on
Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Vehicle: 1998 ford f150
I think what I am talking about it my last post is called a vacuum solenoid not a motor sorry about that
Old 08-09-2011, 12:52 PM

About a year ago I had the vacuum actuators, worked on and/ or replaced. about 5 months ago I notced the hubs trying to lock again while moving down the road. Instead of taking it right back to the dealer, I let the warantee lapse. Now, I'm on the forums noticing that there are supposed to be two solenoids on the firewall. I see only one, and a spot for a second. There are no disconnected wiring harnesses that I can see. Just a spot for a second solenoid. I don't know if the dealer messed up or what. As far as I know I have 4wd when the switch is turned. I am tryin to avoid having the dealer charge me another $800 for repairs that don't repair the problem again.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GSXR1000 View Post
About a year ago I had the vacuum actuators, worked on and/ or replaced. about 5 months ago I notced the hubs trying to lock again while moving down the road. Instead of taking it right back to the dealer, I let the warantee lapse. Now, I'm on the forums noticing that there are supposed to be two solenoids on the firewall. I see only one, and a spot for a second. There are no disconnected wiring harnesses that I can see. Just a spot for a second solenoid. I don't know if the dealer messed up or what. As far as I know I have 4wd when the switch is turned. I am tryin to avoid having the dealer charge me another $800 for repairs that don't repair the problem again.
yours might be for the later fords http://www.f150forum.com/f4/iwe-vacu...roblems-55074/ http://www.f150forum.com/f12/yet-ano...problem-61390/ after reading them i'm thinking this thread is more about my 97 to i guess 2001???
Old 09-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Jeff6 View Post
Hey fixed a guys 97 yesterday and the little lever that's on the axle(connected with roll pin) wasn't traveling enough. We took a torch and bent it towards drivers side a little and woolah fixed. So I'd say pull of the axle actuator and try it by hand maybe it's not traveling far enough..
But of course the actuators on firewall(passenger side) are usually the problem.

Jeff
so this looks to be my problem. looks like bending it just a tad towards the psgr side in my case, will do the trick, but why is it not going all the way back in. i was thinking i could shim it with a washer or two at the vacuum motor/actuator/diaphragm mount area. it all appears to be moving and sucking right and so on, but still something is ever so slightly off the mark so at first it would not engage, now it will not disengage on my test drive so i'm still trying to get it right. btw the posi-lok price is a big rip off $163 + $19 to ship, i dont think so.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
pranKst0r
Bumping this is up for near future use!!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM

I have a 2003 F150 and found that my vacuum lines were cut. I spliced them and did a vacuum check and everything is good. The problem is I wasn't paying very much attention when I took them off the actuator on the differential. Now I don't know which line goes where. I've look at the pictures on this thread and still not quite sure
Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM