Old 04-13-2015, 12:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Is your 4x4 system not working? Forum members suggest various methods to fix the problem. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred methods.
          Print Wikipost

4x4 not working on 2005 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 AM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          BINGO!!!!! You are dead nuts right... As is newmandl.. Just cost me $688 from the Dealer for an Integrated wheel-end (IWE) vacuum solenoid. & 2 (Both sides) Integrated Wheel Ends for the (IWE) System.

I dropped it off @ 7 before work and they called and told me whats wrong ask to repair it and said it should be done by 1PM today!

Expensive day. Good thing I am working a little O/T.. Just needed that $ for X-mas...

Originally Posted by glufactory5.4
          There are issues with the 4x4 system I.w.e ends ingesting moisture/water into vacuum actuation system causing no 4x4 or ratcheting outboard I.w.e ends. (Even if you don't go 4x4'n ) pull off vacuum hoses @ I.w.e ends and check for moisture/water/rust also the I.w.e is not part of the wheel bearing itself It is the part on the axle side (inboard) of the spindle. (EVEN DEALERS CAT LISTED WRONG )Many shops just replace the wheel bearing side this may fix the symptom but not the true cause of damaged I.w.e. ! Check with a reputable dealer they should have info on this condition and repair procedure.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:23 AM
          Do you have the cut out from teh manual for a 1998 F150?

Do you have the cut out from the manual for a 1998 F150?

My lights come on, but no front wheel spin, I hear the transfer case cluck in 4L, only electronic clicks for the 4H, I am assuming it might be vacum but would like to know what fuses to check, The book only listed one at #23

Originally Posted by newmandl
          I cut this out of the 2005 shop manual for Four Wheel Drive - Electronic Shift

Inspection and Verification

Visual Inspection Chart

Mechanical -------

Halfshafts
          Integrated wheel ends (IWE)
          Shift motor
          Driveshaft and universal joints
          Vacuum leaks
          Fluid leaks
          Matching tire sizes
          Transfer case

Electrical -----

Junction box (JB) mini fuses:
          11 (10A) (IWE vacuum solenoid)
          20 (15A)
          29 (15A)
          Junction box (JB) fuse 111 (30A)
          Wiring harness
          Mode select switch (MSS)
          Synchronization clutch
          Connector(s)
          IWE vacuum solenoid
          Circuitry

Old 12-22-2008, 07:33 PM
          Originally Posted by michaelwalker
          Do you have the cut out from the manual for a 1998 F150?

My lights come on, but no front wheel spin, I hear the transfer case cluck in 4L, only electronic clicks for the 4H, I am assuming it might be vacum but would like to know what fuses to check, The book only listed one at #23

I'm experiencing the same problem with my '99. The light all come on and I can hear the solenoids click into 4H, but no front wheel spin. I can also hear the T-Case clunk in 4-Lo. I'm also thinking it might be vacuum. Which lines should I be checking, and am I checking for suction or no-suction like the 04+'s?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:29 AM
          Received 1 Like on 1 Post
          I will let you know the cost today. My truck is at the dealer today for the same problem with exactly the same symptoms. It all started when I had my front brakes done though.???

Does anyone on here know if manual hubs can be put on these trucks? I hate the electronic system, just somthing else to break! I wasted 3 hrs. yesterday because my 4x failed. Went to pick up my trailer from my property yesterday and couldnt get in the drive without 4x4 (18" of snow), total waste of precious time.

The following users liked this post:
          Old 01-21-2009, 01:49 PM
          One guy went one better and put on a manual cable that takes care of it, but this should not cost you more than $200 in my opinion

Old 09-08-2009, 03:53 PM
          I also am experiencing a very similar issue. 2005 King Ranch, started out when I would engage 4 or 4 low it would go in right away with no issues at all, progressed to sometimes taking a few seconds, now I get no clunk, no lights (verified lights are working ) on the dash and no four wheel drive. truck has 97,000 KM on it , the tires are about done and major svce is due at 100,000 KM.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:43 PM
          05 f150 4x4 will not work....please help

I have an 05 ford f150 4x4 stx with a manual 4wd shifter. When I put it in 4wd the light comes on saying 4x4 and the front drive shaft moves when I am going forward and backward but the front wheels are not locked in. Seems like everything should be working, even low range doesn't work but the correct light comes on and the gearing changes as it should but the rear wheels will only spin. does anyone know what might cause this and what I should do? Thanks

Old 01-07-2010, 01:26 PM
          RAV
          I also have ongoing problems with my 05 F150 4X4. First at 32000 miles it would not go into 4 wheel drive. No 4x4 indicator lights. Had to have the 4x4 electric motor replaced. Even though it was under the warrenty milage it was over the time by two months. So it cost me $600.00 plus. After this work done I also could sometimes hear a grinding noise.
          After another 5000 miles front wheels would not engage into 4X4. Even though indicator lights showed correctly. Took it to my local mechanic. Had to replace the Actuator. This runs off a vacuum. He says it was a poor design as water and dirt can easily get into it. He say I can expect to replace it again. Another mechanic also knew this design had problems. He thinks Ford abandoned this design on newer models. There should be a recall on this problem.

Last edited by RAV; 01-07-2010 at 01:29 PM.
          Old 01-07-2010, 02:02 PM
          Originally Posted by Cadmaster
          I have a problem with my 2005 F-150 with 28,000 miles. The 4 wheel drive was grinding and stopped engaging. So I took it into Ford and they replaced the Vaccum Control Switch and the Left front Hub assembly. Now it is engaging but I am having a problem with it dis-engaging. It takes several minutes for it to dis-engage. So I took it back to Ford and they are telling me that because the tires circumfrence is small on the front than the rear due to tire wear. It is binding up the 4 wheel. Does this even make sence? Any ideas would be muc appreciated.
          at 22k, I just had both hubs and vacuum solanoid changed and mine would not release after that either. It took 6-8 miles to release one day. I just got it back and they changed a Check Valve, and it seems to be coming out of 4x fine now. You might want them to have a look at yours. Mine is an 07 so I don't know if yours is the same as mine.

I hope this helps, if not BUMP to the top

Old 01-10-2010, 06:07 PM
          I had the same problem at 36,000 plus. Took it to dealer, 4X4 checked out okay. Couple months later found transnmission fluid in transfer case. Had Transfer case seals replaced. Month later no 4 wheel drive. This time took it to dealer and had shift motor replaced. Two weeks and counting 4X4 okay. good luck. roger

Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
          I just had my IWE replaced on both sides on my 05 F150 4WD to the tune of $535 with parts labor and tax at a ford dealership. They cost $120 a pop at the dealership so if you can replace them your self you will save yourself about $300 (ridicules isnt it?) But i had the problem of a rattle/grinding noise in the front end when i would go into over drive or be at high speeds with a load on the truck but it would go away when i let off the gas pedal or if i engaged the 4W on the fly. It was a nagging thing i just couldnt figure out. I tried a tranny flush, switching the fluid in the transfer case, everything and turns out thats what it was, the IWE on each side. It took alot of power out of the truck too, it has its get up and go again! Just thought id chime in and give you guys a price on changing them.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:29 PM
          lightly tap on the actuator motor attached to the transfer case, if you don't use the 4wd much the motor gets stuck, a small hammer can do the trick

Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 PM
          I too am having strange things happening with my 4x4 sytem on my 2006 Lariet. Never had any problems until one morning the engine trouble light came on. I ran the code and found out that the PCM had a problem, asked a friend who is a mechanic about it. He suggested that I take it to Ford and let them look at it, it may need an update on the unit. Took it to the dealer and paid them 300.00 to reprogram the PCM. The light went out and it seemed everything was fine. 3 weeks later suddenly the 4 hi and 4 low indicator lights started flashing 3 blinks and then stop then repeat. 4 WD would not engage. Checked the service manual and discovered that the problem might be a comlink problem between 4 wheel drive and the PCM. What had Ford done? I decided that perhaps they had screwed something up and perhaps by disconnecting the battery for half an hour the PCM might reset and work. Well the lights stopped blinking and the 4WD seemed to be working. A few days later needed to use the 4WD, turned the switch and nothing, no lights no engage. Did some more investigating and found that the problem seemed to be at the switch, replaced the switch still N/G. Went through some more testing but nothing seemed to be the problem. Tried to engage it several more times and nothing. Then last week I turned the switch and the 4WD indicator came on the the differential engaged. I have checked it every day and even put it into 4WD LOW to test it no problems. My problem is that I can't figure out what the problem was, and I'm afraid that when the snow starts to fall it may fail again. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 AM
          2005 lariat 4wd wont engage

I have had similar trouble the 4wdhi light wont come on does not engage 4wd no noise just does not engage then it will come on light on dash and 4wd it takes 20 feet or so to disengage then for no apparent reason it will not engage no dash light no engagement I was wondering if the tires might be causing it as they are ready to be replaced but even if the tires were the problem woundnt the dash light still come on? I had the same problem a year ago then it just worked fine thru the winter any help would be appreciated

Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 AM
          glc
          Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
          Your tires don't have anything to do with it.

Quick Reply: 4x4 not working on 2005 F-150