Old 04-13-2015, 12:44 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Is your 4x4 system not working? Forum members suggest various methods to fix the problem. The methods include:

Read the full discussion below to find out the preferred methods.
          Print Wikipost

4x4 not working on 2005 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 03:01 PM
          Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
          Motodog, how'd it turn out? Did you find a wiring diagram? Have you solved your problem or are you waiting for the big thaw?
          I'm having the same issue w/my '07.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:43 PM
          Still no 4WD 2005 F150

Still not fixed. Got snowed in one more time.

So, with the solenoid replaced and fuses and wiring look OK.

From what was said here, even though the switch on the dash sends
          the signal for the Transfer Case Motor to actuate, the motor has to actuate
          for the lights to go on. I pounded on the motor, so next I will take it off.
          There must be contacts down there that switch when to motor gets to
          the other position. They would send the signal either directly or thu the computer to turn on the dash 4WD Lights?

Maybe I can test it off the transfer case. I still am looking for the wiring. I may have a manual at my other place. I will make a note to find it!

Better weather now, so I will get started again!

Mike
          "MotoDog"

Old 02-22-2016, 02:31 PM
          TC Motor Rebuild Link?

Motor Rebuild, may be helpful?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/....php?p=1102904

Old 02-22-2016, 04:10 PM
          Mine has started to work again. The temperature has warmed up a bit. It was constantly below 20 degrees when it was mostly not working. My truck has the shielded solenoid...I can hear it click on and off and the light goes on immediately. Could there still be water in the lines even with the water shield over the solenoid?
          If i climbed under the truck after i didn't try the 4x4, the cv shafts would both spin. If I tried the 4x4, the shafts would be locked but the light on the dash wasn't working. And it definitely wasn't on. I took it for a drive w/the wheels locked and they were not engaged. My truck feels like it has a locked front diff if I turn the wheel there is a lot of resistance if the wheels are turned a lot. If i then turned the switch back to 4x2, the shafts would still be locked but no resistance when turning in a tight circle.
          Anyways, working now every single time.
          Thoughts????
          Thanks guys.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:45 PM
          Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
          You might want to read these threads: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...then-some.html

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ore-snows.html

Last edited by 2stroked; 02-22-2016 at 06:47 PM.
          Old 05-22-2016, 01:30 PM
          rkd
          Going to jump in here. I have a 97 and have had issues with no 4x4 engaging for the last five years. Two dealers, four new shift motors, a new transfer case, and an new Gem.

Gem was last summers penance. Worked for awhile. Always works at 60 deg and below. Worked on the annual ski trip. above 85 or 90 it never works, clicks or blinks.

So took it to a local independent auto electrical shop.

In the course of screwing with it, I bought two extra 4x4 relay modules and moved it from behind the steering wheel area of the dash to under the upper dash cover so I could mess with it.

I had one of the junkyard modules in it when I dropped it off.

He found the solder joints on the relay module cracked and damage. My orig would not work at all, one jy unit would not work at all, and the jy one plugged in he resolderd all the connections.

Worked at 90 deg Friday!

You may want to look into this. I will buy a new module soon.

Old 01-01-2017, 07:12 PM
          Hi everyone, I'm just new on here but was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I have a 2006 king ranch and having problems with the 4x4 at the front. When I switch it into 4 the dash light comes on but no drive at the front wheels, back tires spinning and front not moving. When I put it in 4 low I hear the definite thunk of it going in at the transfer case but still nothing up front. Checked the front driveshaft going into the transfer case and it free wheels when in two and locks when in 4 so thinking its somewhere further up the line. Vacuum hoses are on and in good shape at the hubs, hoping to see what I can check before taking it in to a shop,any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Old 12-08-2018, 11:10 PM
          Scratching my head

Any help would be greatly apreciated.
          I have a 2007 ford f150 with the 4.6 v8 and manual transfer case. I cant seem to figure out why my 4wd low works great but 4wd high does not. 4 low engages with no issues 4 high doesnt engage nor do I get an indicator light on the dash. Any help with this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:46 PM
          Had four wheel low, but not high. Issue fixed today

An interesting experience with our 2005 F150. This snow season developed an issue where four wheel high would seemingly not engage, however low would...or so we thought. We changed to the new model Shrouded IWE about five years ago when it went out, thought it was the IWE again so we replaced it. Did not resolve the issue. As always, I consulted this forum for some answers. All things pointed to the transfer case shift motor. Before installing the new shift motor, my son and I pulled it in the shop and did some investigating. Turns out the shift motor was fine, the IWE was functioning as it should, and both half shafts were locked in at the differential as they should be. Up on jacks, the drivers side tire spun free, engaged to the half shaft, the passenger side however was grinding when the wheel was spun, Thus the vacuum actuated hub gear was not seating all the way into the hub. We suspect that the front differential is a limited slip when in four high, and since the passenger side would not spin, neither would the drivers side. Mind you, I changed both front hub/gear assembly's a couple of years ago and things seemed to be seating and releasing fine then, but that had changed over time. So one half shaft and a new vacuum actuator hub was installed this afternoon and all is well again, ready for the foot of snow they have predicted for us here in northern Indiana.

As for having four low through all of this, I assume that we were only getting power transfer to the drivers side hub while in four low. The passengers side was chewed up and full of rusty debris not allowing the gears to mesh together at the hub. At least that is what my novice mind can figure anyway.

If all else fails, check your half shaft hub connections. That may just be your issue. They say these systems are designed to fail into an "engaged position" but if your shaft and or hub gears are bad or clogged with debris, it will not engage at the hub.

Last edited by CraigF150; 02-14-2021 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 4x4 not working on 2005 F-150