Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Other Powertrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 11-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Garage is empty, add now

99 F-150 Transfer Case hard to engage

I just bought a 1999 F150 4wd and the transfer case takes two hands to engage. I had an '88 150 and it didnt require nearly the same effort. Once engaged the 4wd works fine. Any suggestions or ideas to make it work smoother??
Old 11-16-2006, 06:28 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 F-150 suprcab4x4
Chances are the 4x4 was not used much, or at least not in quite a while. The linkage is probable in need of some lubrication.
While shopping for my latest truck I came across a 2000 with the same problem. I didn't even want to switch it to 4 wheel, I had the owner do it. It felt like I was going to break off the shift lever. Finally after sitting in the driveway for a while I proceeded to move it back and forth about a hundred times or so. It became much easier and the owner thanked me. It could really have used some lube on the linkage arms as well.
You should be able to lube it and exercise it in less than a half hour. It will probable shift like new when your done.
bullseye670...................
Old 11-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Send a message via AIM to GIJoeCam Send a message via Yahoo to GIJoeCam
Ditto. Because it's a mechanical linkage and it's exposed to teh elements, it needs to be lubed periodically. Regular use is a good idea anyways.

-Joe

98 Explorer bone-stock (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

Photo Gallery Here

I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot with some spare time.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:55 PM