Gear Shift Indicator out of Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Gear Shift Indicator out of Alignment

My gear shift indicator (the liitle orange line that tells you what gear you are in on top of the steering column) is off now. So, when i am in D it looks like I'm in 2, when in park it looks like I'm in R, etc... Is it possible for the little orange indicator to get out of alignment, or is my shift cable going bad?
I can still use all of the gears and it doesn't appear that the position of the column shifter has changed.
Tony
01 SCREW

Last edited by tfratzke; 08-30-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by tfratzke
My gear shift indicator (the liitle orange line that tells you what gear you are in on top of the steering column) is off now. So, when i am in D it looks like I'm in 2, when in park it looks like I'm in R, etc... Is it possible for the little orange indicator to get out of alignment, or is my shift cable going bad?
I can still use all of the gears and it doesn't appear that the position of the column shifter has changed.
Tony
01 SCREW
It just has to be adjusted, climb under the truck and look were the cable meets the tranny. There should be a nut and screw, loosen it and move the cable back and forth. Ask someone to look at the shifter indicator to see where the line is sitting.Tighten the nut, your done. Thats it. Ive done this in old fords but Im sure its the same thing.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks!

Thanks i will check it out tonight.

Tony

Old 08-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Actually....

There didn't seem to be any adjustments under the truck so I looked on my service CD when i got home and found the directions. The reason mine came out of adjustment is that the clip that holds the thumbwheel is broken. Anyways, for future reference, here is how you adjust the Shift Indicator.

Cable Adjustment — Shift Indicator

1) Remove the upper instrument panel steering column cover.

2) Place the gearshift lever in the (D) position.

- Rotate the gearshift lever clockwise until it bottoms out (first gear), then rotate two detents counterclockwise ((D) position).

3) Hang an eight pound weight on the gearshift lever.

4) Center the pointer in the middle of the (D) position.

- Rotate the thumbwheel located on the bottom of the steering column to adjust the pointer.

5) Remove the eight pound weight.

6) Carefully move the gearshift lever from detent to detent and compare with transmission settings. Readjust if necessary.

7) Install the upper instrument panel steering column cover.

Last edited by tfratzke; 08-31-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Gear Shift Indicator out of Alignment