4AWD,4HI and Low washer light blinking

Old 03-14-2006, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4AWD,4HI and Low washer light blinking

Yesterday while driving to work during a snowfall that dumped 11" on us I was running in the 4AWD mode. After about 15 miles the 4AWD, 4HI and Low Washer lights began blinking; sometimes together and sometimes back and forth separately. When the 4AWD and 4HI lights would happen to be off I noticed that I only had 2 wheel drive. When the lights cames on again I had 4 wheel drive.
If I put the switch into 2WD mode none of the lights blinked and it stayed in 2 wheel drive. As the lights blinked back and forth I could hear a loud clicking coming from the switch.
After my 15 hrs at work I drove it home in 4AWD and it blinked/clicked one time as I pulled out of the lot then was just fine going home. This morning I switched it back and forth from 4AWD to 2WD as conditions warranted and everything worked well. Any ideas? Switch, shift motor, connection? Thanks.

Old 03-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing those two systems have in common is the GEM. It's possible (and fairly common from what I've seen) to have a water leak develop that drips on the GEM, eventually shorting something out and causing odd gremlins like this. Two systems that *should* have nothing in common have a blinking in common... that's not normal, for sure.

-Joe

Old 03-18-2006, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What and where is the GEM? Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
General Electrical Module, and it controls basically all the accessory functions (windows, locks, interior lights, etc) IIRC, it's on teh driver's side up behind the dash.... can't remember offhand though....

-Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4AWD,4HI and Low washer light blinking