Annoying drive shaft clunk

Old 01-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pictures

Do you happen to have any pictures of the u-joints?

Originally Posted by 01SILVERGT
I just went through this same issue with my Expy. It was the u-joints. After they were replaced, everything felt MUCH better, but I still got a small "poping" sound. Found out the shop that did the u-joints did not pack the slip yolk with grease, so it was making noise. Sounds like you need new u-joints, and make sure they grease the hell out of the slip yolk.

Old 01-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by guzman_marcos
Do you happen to have any pictures of the u-joints?
no, but I will take some later and post them.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:48 AM
thanks!

I think i need to replace u-joints and grease the slip-joke.
I get a very loud metalic clunk.

In case i take the slip joke out, should I put it back same way it comes out?

Old 01-31-2006, 08:58 AM
thanks!

I think i need to replace u-joints and grease the slip-joke.
I get a very loud metalic clunk.

In case i take the slip joke out, should I put it back same way it comes out?

Old 02-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Well, I got the U-joints replaced under my powertrain warranty as well as a new rear end. After about 2000kms the clunking is back. Feels like its right at the slip yoke by the transmission. Has anyone greased it up better and had it go away that way? I don't really want to have to bring it into the dealer again.

Old 02-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Someone had mentioned that the slip yoke itself needs to be replaced have you tried this? I had a clunk that was definately coming from the slip yoke as I greased the crap outta it and the clunk went away for a couple weeks until the greas was gone, I installed an add a leaf for my new tires and lo and behold the clunk went away and has yet to come back, if it does I will replace the slip yoke Mine also has 165K on it

Old 03-12-2006, 07:45 PM
clunk from stop to start

The clunking your hearing is from the slip yoke- TEFLON GREASE is the only answer. E.D. was right as well. I have used it for years and it works. First clean the slip joint well with a degreaser, dry well the brush in the Teflon Grease you will be pleased.

Old 03-18-2006, 04:45 PM
How much do you use, just enough to coat the splines or gobs so it remains for a while? Like the rest of you's had this problem since 01 or 02 sometime. I read somewhere that greasing it would solve it but unless you can live with it you'll have to do this often. They were refering to a suburban or yukon, something chevy anyways. Didn't say it was a needed fix, just annoying!!!!!! And oh God is it.

Old 03-18-2006, 05:11 PM
I swear this has more to do with axle wrap than the slip yoke, I had the same thing going on and when I greased my yoke it went away for a very short time maybe 3 weeks and I used a high quality water proof grease. I decided I wanted bigger tires and dropped an add a leaf on and the clunk has left the building when my truck had 4:10's installed in the rear I took my driveshaft down to a local guy and had him drop in U joints check the slip yoke and balance the whole get up he called and said the yoke was in great shape. Oh by the way I used to gob the grease on so that I had to get pretty forceful getting it back on I had so much grease on it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Annoying drive shaft clunk