Driveshaft - Repair or Replace

Old 07-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Driveshaft - Repair or Replace

I own a 1989 F150 4x4 with a 300 IL6 and 4 speed manual. I have been having a slight vibration at 55-65 mph on the road. I took the shaft in to get it balanced and the mechanic said that he could balance it but couldn't make it perfect due to some play in the slip yoke.

I was told that to rebalance it, it'd run about $35. To recore the slip yoke it'd be roughly $150. However, he said that the long cantilever on the slip yoke would eventually result in problems in the future. He then suggested that i get the sleve for the slip yoke extended to reduce the cantilever. That'd cost $200+.

My question is, what would you all recomend? I'm thinking for $150 to $200 I could almost buy an entirely new driveshaft. Any suggestions? Also would you recomend any type of driveshaft?

Pat

Old 07-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to a junkyard and get a replacement driveshaft and have the u-joints changed before installing...but most normally slip joints dont usually "wear out" when properly maintained

...zap!

Old 07-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Thanks

Zapster, Thanks, I think I just might do that. First I'll see if the balancing eliminates the vibration. If not, I'll go looking for a replacement. The slip yoke has been properly maintained and lubed. Thanks again.

Pat

Old 07-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Is the driveshaft a 2 piece or a single tube with the slip yoke into the tranny? If it is a single tube I would balance it and change the slip yoke. You can probably find one cheaper than that in the aftermarket. If the splines are worn on the slip yoke then I would check the tail shaft in the tcase to be sure it is not the culprit for the vibration and that the splines are not worn much on it. Retubing the shaft is not going to help if the slip yoke is causing the problem. Rebalancing is never a bad idea though.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driveshaft - Repair or Replace