Fix it right the FIRST TIME

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2000, 06:39 PM
J-C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Fix it right the FIRST TIME

I've been a happy owner of a 1999 F-250 SuperDuty CrewCab LongBed for 14 months.

The ONLY times I've NOT been happy are when I have to take it to the dealer for some warranty work.

They must really miss seeing me because they NEVER fix the problem on the First visit

I've taken it in just 5 times in 14 months
1st time - Cruise Control Recall - they replaced a cable.
2nd time - Cruise Control NOT working - the connected the cable they'd replaced on 1st trip.
3rd time - Spare tire winch won't lower - they removed the winch and left spare in bed.
4th time - Spare tire winch replaced.
5th time - Fuel System Recall - add a strap (I also asked them to repair the Leaking Left Rear axle because it was getting grease on my wheel.)

When I picked up the truck, I was told that the grease on my wheel was from the wheel bearing (well, Duh!). I asked if they replaced the seal. They said, "No, the leak is NORMAL." (yeah, right!) When I pressed them to replace the seal, they said, "You have disk brakes on the rear, therefore, you have no seal to replace - that's why the leak is NORMAL!" (yeah, right!) At this point, I know I'll be back so they can fix it the SECOND time!!

Then, on the way home, there is a rattle under the bed every little bump Did thay FAIL to fasten the strap they moved for the recall??? Jeesh! What wonderful service - NOT
----------------------------------------
What are your service experiences? Better, worse, same???

------------------
1999 F-250 XLT Super Duty Crew Cab Long Bed
V-10, Automatic 4R100, 4.30 Limited Slip.
GVW = 6700# Towing Capacity = 13,300#
4 Wheel ABS disks + Reese 15K hitch
Dark Hunter Green. Ford Running Boards.
Grey Rhino-Liner. Captain's Chairs. CD+Tape
Polished Stainless Steel Wheel-well Molding <A HREF="http://members.home.net/jchartier/jnctrk.html" TARGET=_blank>
CLICK to see pictures of my truck.</A>

[This message has been edited by J-C (edited 02-25-2000).]

Old 02-25-2000, 07:44 PM
Not as bad as yours, but still frustrating.

The plastic bed rail cover on one side had some tabs broken off when it was intsalled, and flopped around in the breeze since new. A new one was needed.

the service writer insisted I needed to bring in the truck first so he could look at it before ordering a new one - so "that the color would be right". Well, they are all the same color. How come I know that and the Ford Service rep doesn't? I had to drive to the dealer so he could look at it and order the part.

A week later I had to go back so they could pop the old plastic piece off and put the new one on. They had the truck all morning. When I got there at noon, the 'job' was not done. I had to wait another hour! Probably took the tech about 1 minute to do the job.

Other than that minor problem, my truck has been trouble free (knock on wood).

------------------
1999 XLT S/C, 4.2 V-6, auto, 3.55 rear, dark torreador red/harvest gold, bed liner, Sony 10 disc CD, Edelbrock IAS, K&N filter, Superchip

Old 02-26-2000, 09:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

As ticked as i am with Ford about having to have it in the shop Twice within the first 6,000 miles (tranny leak and battery replacement) I will say I am pleased with my dealer.
They give free loaners and they fixed it right the first time both times.
I couldn't tell you about Nissan's service dept cause I didn't have to take it in a single time during the 60,000 mile warranty.
Wish my Ford was as reliable.
Not only that my Ford cost almost 3 times as much $$$.

Pissed at Ford / Happy with Dealer

Old 02-27-2000, 01:07 AM
On the average, my experiences with Dealer service have been pretty poor, no matter what make. I will fix minor things myself, rather than bring it in under warranty. I won't even get in to all the stupid stuff I've been told by Dealers over the years. But persistance pays off - both ways! Them telling people "they are all like that etc. etc." so they don't bring it back. And some of us that won't put up with that BS and keep after them till its done right. But its a hassle for sure.
I think the whole concept of "Service Writer" was a major step in customer dis-service!

Old 02-27-2000, 02:38 AM
franks&beans
We have 42,620 miles on our almost 2 yr old truck, and the only time it has been to the dealer is for the new lug nuts and the door crack. We still recieve the Dealer service "reminders" for regular maintenance tune-ups every few months. Think they would catch-on by now that I do my own maintenance. :-)

F&B's

------------------
98 F-150 XLT, SC, SWB, 2WD, Pac. Grn., 4.2L auto, 4.10 gears w/ LS, Tow Pkg., BFG AT's 265/75/16, K&N air filter, Dynomax muffler, Superchip, Edelbrock shocks, Hellwig sway bar, 3" body lift, signal mirrors, ...tons of cosmetic products

Old 02-27-2000, 07:48 PM
I think it is far worse to be an ex-mechanic than to be ignorant of mechanical things all together. I literally get ill when I have to take my car/truck/bike to the dealership -- and only do it when absolutely no other way exists. I bought a Ford in 1987 from my local dealership in Galesburg MI because it was on my way to work. That car lasted until last winter -- and I have no fewer than 7 business cards from 'Service Managers' from that place. The service garage is a dump. I did buy my new 2K from them -- but only because they were hungry, and I got a good price - But I will NEVER take my truck to them for service -- even if it quits in the street in front of them. I could go on for several paragraphs with reasons why, but suffice it to say that you're not alone!

Old 02-28-2000, 08:59 AM
Angry

I made the mistake of finding a blemish under the clearcoat on the mirror of my truck when it had 200 miles on it (less than a week old). First they tried to polish it out and it looked worse. The salesman said I should bring it back the next day and the body shop would take care of it. When I got to the service writer, she didn't know anything about this and sent it off to the same prep guys to get it fixed. One day later, and it looked even worse than before. The service writer then "arranged" a scheduled time for me at the body shop (busy!) for the next week. Guaranteed to be done in one day or less! HA! Took them two days to paint a mirror! When it finally came back, the mirror looked fine, except where the overspray got on the black and windshield and the masking job left glue traces on my light lenses. I decided to take care of those myself.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Sport
Silver
4 door Supercab, Short Bed (Only way to fit in the garage)
17" Sport Wheels with BFG tires
4.6l V8, Auto Transmission (First one in 20 years)
In-Dash Single CD Player

Hopes and Dreams:
Spray-in Bedliner
K&N Filter
WMS Velocity Tube
FlowMaster Exhaust
Nerf Bars

[This message has been edited by Y2kXLTSport (edited 02-28-2000).]

Old 02-28-2000, 01:22 PM
Angry

I don't even want to get started here - not enough G-byte space available on the web.

Quick Reply: Fix it right the FIRST TIME