Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Other Powertrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 04-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F-150
Rear Axle Bearing Replacement

How difficult is it to replace the rear axle bearing and seal on a 2000 F-150? Specifically, how difficult will it be to remove the section with the lug posts in order to get to the axle bearing?
Old 04-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2002 Ford F150
You have to remove the rear cover of the differential and drain the oil. Then remove the pin that holds the spider gears in place and remove the spider gears. A small bolt holds the pin in place. Then you have to push the axles in a little to remove the c-clips on the ends of the axles that hold the axle gears on and then pull the axles completely out of the rear. The seal can be pried from the axle housing with a screwdriver. the bearing may have to be pulled out with a bearing puller.

What makes you think you need new bearings? Are they noisy? You will be able to inspect them with the axles out. If you just have a leak, seals should be all you need to replace.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:34 AM
2013 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 2013 Ford F150
You shouldn't have to remove the spider gears.... They will stay in place long enough for you to remove the axles. After you remove the axles, put the pin back in place so they don't come out... It'll be a PITA to get them back in I hear...

Good luck,

Mitch
Old 04-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
They're not too bad to do. I did one on my truck when I saw the seal leaking. Figured I might as well replace the bearing too. Take your time and be sure to rent / buy or borrow a bearing puller or slide hammer to get the bearing out.

Modified intake and throttle body, 265/75R16 Toyo All Terrains, Spicer greasable U joints & Moog ball joints, Delta toolbox, trans cooler and guage, Magnaflow muffler, Reese Class III hitch.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:35 PM