Old 04-13-2015, 06:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Differential Oil - What do you use in the Rear End
http://www.f150online.com/forums/oth...-rear-end.html

ISSUE
Recommendation for best oil to use for the rear differential including different options and pricing

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Differential Oil - What do you use in the Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by piperc

and another thing. the person above says he always uses a gasket. this person does not know that you can use rtv gasket maker.
This "person" has been using RTV for almost 25 years! This "person" has been building engines,trannys,differentials for over 25 years too! Oh,and this "person" has had to use RTV in emergancy situations on a differential when a gasket were not available! Emergancy only!!!!!

Old 11-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totaly agree with you! I don't have a clue on where to begin on servicing parts of my truck myself. I have a 2000 F150 that I purchased about a year ago. It had been wrecked on the rearend and rebuilt. I have had some major problems with it in the last few months and I'm finding myself having to do what I can to it myself to learn about it and save money. By the way, I'm a girl if that eases anyones mind to my silly questions. LOL

Old 11-08-2004, 12:11 AM

------------

it's not hard girl,just jack it up,loosen the bolt's around it and let it drain.or you can syphon it out,either way will work.use a gasket and you might want to borrow a torqe wrench unless you want to buy one.
if i were you take it to a shop,buy the time you get the gear oil,torqe wrench,gasket material you can get it done for $45.00 to $75.00.depends where you take it.
but then again if you want to start servicing your truckyourself.jump on it.
good luck
JOE

http://www.techguys.ca/howto/differential_fluid.html

Last edited by Joe Styles; 11-08-2004 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the tip Joe. I'll let you know how it goes if I decide to get brave enough to tackle this myself.

Old 11-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Thumbs up

Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter
I "ALWAYS" use a gasket on the differential.And,I can torque the bolts right there and then!And then fill it with fluid rite away too! It also gives me better piece of mind knowing I have the gasket there.Would you put an oil pan on without a gasket? How about valve covers? Timing cover?
Any good parts store that sells FelPro gaskets sell the differential gaskets.Here is the part number for the 8.8;
FelPro-RDS-55431
I agree, but you tell me where I can get one for the 9.75" and I'll do the same thing (maybe.. )..... Can't find them at the Ford parts counter, or any of the chain auto stores....... Been there, done that!

So, I'm left with the RVT stuff!

As I said, it works well, and the extra time it takes, just gets me out of that much more house work and I can down a few more beers!

A garage with a beer fridge and a TV hooked up to cable is not a bad thing!

Old 11-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by MitchF150
I agree, but you tell me where I can get one for the 9.75" and I'll do the same thing (maybe.. )..... Can't find them at the Ford parts counter, or any of the chain auto stores....... Been there, done that!
Advance auto parts,$5.80! Part number;
FelPro RDS-55394
Or,try any good parts store that sells FelPro gaskets!

Old 11-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Thundercat... there are some good, well-explained "How-To" articles regarding maintenance, etc over at http://www.fordf150.net/howto/

As well, check the "Technical Articles" on this site as well as those at FTW.....

All 3 sources have some excellent information that's easy to follow..

Old 11-08-2004, 05:11 PM
Thumbs up

Advance auto parts,$5.80! Part number;
FelPro RDS-55394
Thanks BlueOvalFitter for the part number..... Too bad we don't have any Advance Auto Parts stores on this side of the US..... Seems to be an East Coast thing.....

I don't know of any parts store that does NOT sell Felpro gaskets, and I looked at them all..... They all said no such listing and then they would point me to the RVT section........

Thanks again!

Mitch

Old 11-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks MikeF150! I'm trying to find some maintenance manuals. A few other people have given me the names of some to help me out. I'll check out the site.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Thumbs up

Hey BlueOvalfitter, thanks for the part number for the gasket. I'll pick one up for my 8.8. I have an Advanced Auto Parts about 10 minutes from my house. I like the idea of both a small bead of silicone and the paper gasket. I don't plan on opening the differential up again before I sell the truck (I probably should not have said that).

I got the front differential gear oil and transfer case fluid (Mercon) changed this past weekend. Piece of cake except for the transfer case fluid hits the cross member and goes all over place because it's so close to the drain plug. If you have changed your transfer case fluid before, you know what I'm talking about. Other than that no problems at all.

I am going to torque the rear differential cover bolts to 35 ft/lbs. My Chiltons book does not give a torque spec for these bolts. Does this sound ok, anyone????

Old 11-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Exclamation

I am going to torque the rear differential cover bolts to 35 ft/lbs
That sounds a bit high to me....... It might be 35 INCH/LBS.......

I just tighten them up in a criss cross pattern and snug 'em down to what "feels" like a decent amount with a 3/8" ratchet....

Over tightening will cause leaks just as under tightening will.....

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 11-09-2004, 03:08 PM
MitchF150

I got the 35 ft/lbs from the ford150.net/howto link above. They mention the Haynes manual indicates 30-38 ft./lbs. My Chiltons book has no reference for the cover bolts so I'm open to suggestions. I'll probably just snug them up and let the gasket do its job.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:27 PM
The 8.8 gasket part number is;
FelPro RDS-55431
The 9.75 gasket part number is;
FelPro RDS-55394

Old 11-09-2004, 09:47 PM
Account Suspended For Violation of Terms of Service
i have found that when i change the diff oil, i can use conventional 10w40 as good lubricant. i save about 30cents/quart using motor oil, and my non-ls works great. should the oil be black when it drains out?

Old 11-10-2004, 11:38 AM
That's some of the worst advice you've given yet and that's saying alot. If you give horrible advice and someone takes it and toasts their rear end, YOU ARE PERSONALLY LIABLE for the damage IMO. I hope your "motor oil" is black when you drain it from your differential. I suggest you attend a technical school or stop giving advice on this board.

Quick Reply: Differential Oil - What do you use in the Rear End