Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Other Powertrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 05-17-2004, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
Ring and pinion replacement

Hello all,

Did anybody replace their ring and pinion themselves? I just bought front and rear (4X4) rings and pinions for my F150 2000 to change from 3.73 to 4.10. I just go a quote of 800$ Canadian!!! That's about 600$ USD! Should I attempt this myself?

Thanks for any help you can provide,
Stephane
Old 05-17-2004, 04:25 PM

If you don't have ALL of the tools needed and gear change experience, I'd leave this job to a professional, especially on a 4X4. That sounds like a fair price and any tools you need or mistakes you make will eat that $600 up quickly.
Old 05-17-2004, 07:44 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Ford F150
Send a message via AIM to UrbanCowboy Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanCowboy
I'm doing mine this week or next. Wouldn't you love to be able to say you did that job yourself? DIY is the best way to go. Just make sure to research first. Get some cheap tools from harbour freight or somewhere or borrow them from the auto parts store. You'll come out saving money and have some new tools. I will admit, however, that I'm not changing my gear ratio so I plan to pretty much replace the current shims etc with the exact same (but new) ones and that will make my job easier. You'd probably end up with different backlash and other settings.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:27 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Ford F150
I would really want to say "I did it myself" but I think I might just loose patience on this one. According to the Ford book, it takes 6.1 hours to replace the rear pinion and ring and 4 hours for the front. I have an appointment at my friendly Ford dealer week to get it done. This way, if it's not done right, I can blame them.

Thanks for your input,
Stephane
Old 05-19-2004, 02:47 PM

That sounds like a good plan. I did mine myself. It's nice to say you DIY, but if you're not experienced, it's painful to say I F-ed it up myself.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:47 PM