Drivetrain whine -- FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2000, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Drivetrain whine -- FIXED

PREVIOUS POST ON 12/26/99
My 250 LD makes a "whine" in any gear right around 15-25 mph -- even neutral & reverse. I know there are several others on this board that have this same issue with their trucks and I MAY have stumbled across the solution.

I had a mechanic do a search for drivetrain noise on OASIS and it came back with a "coastdown moan" -- SSB #13010 & 13011. Evidently this is caused by a faulty bracket holding the auxillary transmission cooler. The fix is a new bracket with rubber gromets.

I'll keep everyone posted and if you have a 5.4L with the aux. trans. cooler (150's/250-LD's/Econolines/Expeditions/Navigators), you might determine if you can hear this "moan" at around 20 mph -- evidently the noise is more apparent on the passenger's side.

RESULTS FROM 1/27/00
Had the aux. tranny cooler replaced today and didn't hear a peep from the drivetrain as I drove it home from the dealer. I didn't drive it for very long, but there was no trace of the "moan" or whine at any speed between 10 and 35 mph.

So for all those waiting for my "report", go get it done

Jim

P.S. Drove it all day today and no noise

------------------
'99 F-250 LD 5.4L SC XLT 2WD 3.73LS in White/Silver (w/ EVERYTHING 'cept leather and engine block heater) -- added: SnugTop Hi-Liner & carpet kit, Donnelly electrochromatic/compass mirror, K&N filter, 3" Induction Tube Airbox Mod., SuperWhite 9007 bulbs, IAS shocks, Mobil 1, Bosch +4 plugs, Flowmaster-70 3" cat-back exhaust, SuperChip FlipChip, more to come... (Westin side bars, electric fan, and silver fender/wheel flares are next)

http://hometown.aol.com/jimorama/myh...ollection.html

Old 01-31-2000, 05:27 PM
Alright! But in your original post, you said the fix was a new bracket w/ rubber grommets. And now you say that you replaced the aux. tranny cooler? Did you get this done under warranty at the dealer?

Thanks!

------------------
'99 F-250LD 4x4 SC XLT 5.4 3.73LS TTP
285/75/16 BFG Muds, Gibson 3" swept-side, K&N FIPK, clear corner lenses, ford bug deflector

Old 01-31-2000, 08:21 PM
Smile

Hey Groggy, yeah -- all work was done under warranty. When I had it originally looked at and they ran it through OASIS, it came up as needing the bracket with rubber grommets. But when the parts for the fix actually arrived, I guess they included the aux. tranny cooler too. So I got the whole thing replaced. No whine so far...

Hope this helps,

Jim

------------------
'99 F-250 LD 5.4L SC XLT 2WD 3.73LS in White/Silver (w/ EVERYTHING 'cept leather and engine block heater) --
Drivetrain Mods: SuperChip FlipChip, K&N filter w/ 3" Induction Tube Airbox Mod., IAS shocks, Flowmaster-70 3" cat-back exhaust, Mobil 1, & Bosch +4 plugs
Other Mods: SnugTop Hi-Liner & carpet kit, Donnelly electrochromatic/compass mirror, & SuperWhite 9007 bulbs
More mods to come... (Westin side bars, electric fan, and silver fender/wheel flares are next)

http://hometown.aol.com/jimorama/myh...ollection.html

Old 01-31-2000, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info, Jim. Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is OASIS? Is this the computer software that the dealers use? I want to know exactly what I'm talking about before I go down there, so they don't try to play dumb on me.

------------------
'99 F-250LD 4x4 SC XLT 5.4 3.73LS TTP
285/75/16 BFG Muds, Gibson 3" swept-side, K&N FIPK, clear corner lenses, ford bug deflector

Old 02-01-2000, 11:05 PM
I know we have some Ford techies on this board, they could give a better answer to this -- but I'll share what little I know (or think I know)...

OASIS is kind of a repository for Ford problems/issues/TSBs/SSMs/etc. Dealers can access information on it (like a search engine on the Web) and type in specific diagnostic observations to determine what's up with your vehicle (this is definitely in the "think-I-know" area, if anyone knows better -- please help me out).

If you look on my other post (about possible fix) I posted the SSM (special service message) number -- 13060 and 13061, if memory serves. This should be all the information you need to take to your dealer. Any worthwhile dealer will know what to do and, thereby, what action to take to get your vehicle fixed.

Good luck, Groggy, and post back when you get yours taken care of

Jim

Quick Reply: Drivetrain whine -- FIXED