Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Other Powertrain
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 01-16-2004, 03:53 AM
Garage is empty, add now

F250 Heavy Duty differential oil?

I have 1989 F250HD 2wd. It has that fully floating axle (Dana 80 which takes about 4qt of fluid)

I want to change the differential oil, and I got Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear oil. Now, however, I hear that it is best to use 75w-140 in heavy-duty applications, as it is OEM.

So which one is it?

Ideally, I wanted 75w-140 in synthetic but couldn't find it anywhere. Will 75w-90 M1 suffice or is it a mistake? I sometimes tow a signficant load of about 9,000 lbs. I have a feeling I should go back and exchange it, but my only other choice is dino 75w-140.

Also I know Ford sells their OEM stuff but it is pretty expensive per quart $20/qt, certainly more than M1, and I don't think it is synthetic.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford Expedition
I think the heavier oil would be better for the heavy load you tow. Amsoil makes a 75w-140 for about $8.00/qt. I think I've seen Redline 75w-140 in Summit catalog. If you can't find either of these then I would put the synthetic 75w-90 in before I would get the 75w-140 petroleum. I don't know about the Mobil 1 but the Amsoil 75w-90 spec sheet shows it to hold up to high temps like a heavier petroleum and excellent under the 4-ball wear test which measures the load capability.
You might hear a lot of disagreement over which brand is best but I think if you stick with any synthetic you will be better off.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:06 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Where do I get this 75/140 oil? None of the auto parts places like Autozone have it.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:28 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 Ford F150
75/140 from Amsoil costs as much as Motorcraft. Order it and it will be at your door 2 days later. Do a search using the oil weights. Ford used 75/140 so it would not be easily contaminated by water condensation and would not have a tendency to leak out the outer axle seals when hot. If you're still under warranty use 140 so there's no complaints later. However, many have used 75/90 with no problems, and it's factory fill in the 4x4 front end.
4.56 LS w/Eaton Posi
FIPK w/Ram Air
Superchip #6600 5 Program Custom Burn
Flowmaster 3" Super 40
Magnaflow Cats
Magnaflow Y
Summit/Pacesetter Shorty Headers
Built 4R70W w/brazed converter
Trans-Go Stage 3
Performance Products E-Fans
Performance Products Pullies
Autometer A-Pillar Triple 2 5/16"