Drivetrain whine -- possible fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-1999, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Drivetrain whine -- possible fix?

My 250 LD makes a "whine" in any gear right around 15-25 mph -- even neutral & reverse. I know there are several others on this board that have this same issue with their trucks and I MAY have stumbled across the solution.

I had a mechanic do a search for drivetrain noise on OASIS and it came back with a "coastdown moan" -- SSB #13010 & 13011. Evidently this is caused by a faulty bracket holding the auxillary oil cooler. The fix is a new bracket with rubber gromets. I'm taking my truck in tomorrow (to another dealer near my house) so they can drive my truck and verify that I have a problem, THEN they'll order the part and make come back in 2 months -- even though I told them EXACTLY what the deal is... Oh well...

Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted and if you have a 5.4L with the aux. oil cooler (150's/250-LD's/Econolines/Expeditions/Navigators), you might determine if you can hear this "moan" at around 20 mph -- evidently the noise is more apparent on the passenger's side.

Happy Y2K

Jim

------------------
'99 F-250 LD 5.4L SC XLT 2WD 3.73LS in White/Silver (w/ EVERYTHING 'cept leather and engine block heater) -- added: SnugTop Hi-Liner & carpet kit, Donnelly electrochromatic/compass mirror, K&N filter, 3" Induction Tube Airbox Mod., SuperWhite 9007 bulbs, IAS shocks, Mobil 1, Bosch +4 plugs, Flowmaster-70 3" cat-back exhaust, more to come... (Superchip, Westin side bars, electric fan, and silver fender/wheel flares are next)

http://hometown.aol.com/jimorama/myh...ollection.html

Old 12-28-1999, 12:40 AM
JD
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada (originally from Kearny, New Jersey)
Red face

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the info, let me know the outcome. I noticed that whine initially but now not as often, not sure if I've shut it out or it went away.

Any problems with your tranny? After arriving in Vegas with my travel trailer I experienced some free wheeling, the engine would rev real loud when the truck was barely moving. I took it in last month to be told no problem, can't repeat. But it sounds to loud to me. I think the mechanic test driving it needed to turn the radio down (had a rock station blaring when I got in it). Supposedly there were no error codes. Anyone else out there have the same problem? It's going back in next week.

------------------
99 F250XLT Supercab LD
5.4L 3.73 LS
White/Silver
Graphite interior
6 CD changer/Captain's Chairs

Old 12-28-1999, 09:24 PM
JD
Yea Jim,

It's still there, mainly when let off the gas and slowing down. Let me know what happens. Thanks

------------------
99 F250XLT Supercab LD
5.4L 3.73 LS
White/Silver
Graphite interior

Old 12-28-1999, 11:13 PM
Jim;

I also have this whine when I let off the gas at 20 to 25 mph. It sounds as if it is comming from the tranny. I have a 99 5.4 F150 Let me know what you find out. Thanks

[This message has been edited by A.D. Pendergrass (edited 12-28-1999).]

Old 12-28-1999, 11:15 PM
Talking

I took it in and they found the noise (wow, tough) -- they ordered the new bracket and it should be in soon.

Hopefully I can drop it off with them sometime next week...

Jim

Old 12-28-1999, 11:24 PM
Red face

Whoops, I mis-spoke when I said the noise came from the bracket holding the auxillary oil cooler -- it comes from the bracket holding the auxilllary TRANSMISSION cooler. If you have a '98 or '99 with the 5.4L and the tow package, you might have noticed this noise.

A.D., this sounds like the same thing and you're right, it sounds like it comes from the tranny or driveshaft.

I'll post results when I get it fixed.

Jim

Old 12-28-1999, 11:28 PM
Jim Does the dealers know about this.Or do you have to convince them.

Old 12-29-1999, 11:28 PM
A.D.

I got the SSM # from one dealer (Santa Barbara), then had to convince the other dealer (Ventura) that I knew what I was talking about. I bought the truck when I lived in SB but I now live in Ventura -- so far I'm not too impressed with these guys.

Good luck,

Jim

Old 01-10-2000, 04:42 PM
Jim,

I am eagerly awaiting the outcome of this possible fix. Please do let us know if this gets rid of the annoying whine.

Thanks.

------------------
'99 F-250LD 4x4 SC XLT 5.4 3.73LS TTP
285/75/16 BFG Muds, Gibson 3" swept-side, K&N filter, clear corner lenses, ford bug deflector

Old 01-10-2000, 07:41 PM
Angry

Nothing to report yet...

They ordered and received the parts, so I took it in last Thursday for the fix and they ordered the wrong parts. So I'm now waiting for the right parts to come in... Hopefully they know where the parts are supposed to go

I'll let ya know...

Jim

Old 01-15-2000, 10:08 AM
JD
Question

I have an appointment Monday for an oil change and for them to check my tranny (experienced heavy freewheeling over the summer, that went away but it's still kind of loud). I was really trying to hold off until I heard how your fix went but I need to get it now. Thanks for the info, Ijust thought this was normal but I'm gonna have them check it out.

------------------
99 F250XLT Supercab LD
5.4L 3.73 LS
White/Silver
Graphite interior

Old 01-20-2000, 03:26 PM
Question

I have the exact same noise but I have a 98' F-150 WITHOUT the tow package and a 4.6. Is it possible that it could be the same problem?

------------------
98' F-150, Off Road, Short Box, Blue, 4.6, K&N, Auto, Captain Chairs, Dual Exhaust
Alpine CD Player, (2) 10" Rockford Fosgate Subwoofers and a big ol' Arctic Cat
sticker on the rear sliding window!!!!! Soon to be chipped!!!

Old 01-20-2000, 08:28 PM
Hey Z,
I've only heard of it being a problem for the 5.4's, but...

If you have the heavy duty cooling package (comes automatic with the tow package, but you can get it without) then you'll have the auxillary transmission cooler.

If you don't have this and your truck makes this exact noise, then maybe this isn't the fix Ford says it is.

I take my truck in (again!!) next Thursday (1/27) -- we'll see what happens this time...

Jim

Old 01-20-2000, 09:21 PM
JD
Thumbs down

Hey Jim,

Well, I got the old "can't duplicate". I have to bring it back next week for a part ordered for the center console, the service rep said he'd get someone to ride with me. Can't believe they didn't hear it, could it be it was late in the day?

------------------
99 F250XLT Supercab LD
5.4L 3.73 LS
White/Silver
Graphite interior

Old 01-20-2000, 11:41 PM
JD, as in late in the day and the guy wants to go home?

I was driving the mechanic around the streets near the dealer's lot and was able to point out the sound directly to him. Might be the way to go with your guy too...

Good luck,

Jim

P.S. I need to get this thing fixed SOON, I'm ready to order my superchip but I don't want to install it 'til after I get it back from the service guys.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain whine -- possible fix?