2011 to 2013 Explorer positive experiences

Old 06-25-2012, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 to 2013 Explorer positive experiences

Lets talk about the 2011 to 2013 Explorers, tell us what you like about your new Explorer and the positive experiences you have had with it. Please keep it positive, there are plenty of other threads to here from the complainers. Mine is on the assembly line as I write this, 2013 XLT FWD 3.5 v6 Kodiak Brown, cant wait to get my next update to see when she will be coming home. So as for now I am passing out virtual cigars to celebrate her birthday today!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the new Explorer!

My wife has had hers ('12 Limited 4WD with the 3.5L) since August of last year and she really likes it a lot. All things considered the fuel mileage is pretty good (just averaged 22.1 MPG on a 750 mile round trip with 90% highway and an average speed of about 75 MPH). The headlights (which are HID's) are excellent, long term ride comfort is good, and the MFT system is pretty good. All in all I'd say we really like the Explorer but as with all things there are a few negatives as well. Since you asked to keep the negative out I won't mention any but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by 08FX4
Congrats on the new Explorer!

My wife has had hers ('12 Limited 4WD with the 3.5L) since August of last year and she really likes it a lot. All things considered the fuel mileage is pretty good (just averaged 22.1 MPG on a 750 mile round trip with 90% highway and an average speed of about 75 MPH). The headlights (which are HID's) are excellent, long term ride comfort is good, and the MFT system is pretty good. All in all I'd say we really like the Explorer but as with all things there are a few negatives as well. Since you asked to keep the negative out I won't mention any but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.
well put

Old 06-25-2012, 10:32 PM
So far no change, looks like it's going to be a long night of labor! Thanks for sharing with us, hope you both enjoyed your cigar.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm a proud daddy, she was born at 3:52 am ET June 26th, her name is Kodi Bear, now we just have to get her home!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I like the looks of the newer body style. The Explorer has come a long way since the early nineties.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Laying in the hospital had surgery,at least the meds are helping me deal with the anticipation!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Here is an awesome pic of my new baby!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Here are my honest first impressions of the 2013 Explorer. Picked it up Fri. afternoon and took it on a short road trip the next morning. Went from Fort Pierce, Fl to Ft Lauderdale and back. Approximately 200 miles round trip, went down Rt 1, allot of stop and go city driving 35 to 50 mph and returned on interstate 95 at 70mph, averaged 23 mpg round trip.
The vehicle is a pleasure to drive, seats are very comfortable, I am 5'11" 230 lbs and fit very comfortably in the drivers compartment. Visibility is just as good as any suv, and all the gauges are easy to see. The 3.5 V6 has plenty of power, the vehicle rides very well, handles unbelievably well for a truck this size and is very quiet going down the road. There is plenty of room in the 2nd row, and the 3rd row is a little tight for adults but would be fine for two younger children. The My Ford Touch works great, but like many I was initially having some problem with the touch screen and buttons, but once I read my manual and realized you have to very lightly touch the screen or buttons instead of actually trying to push harder on them, I now can operate it just fine. The interior materials are very nice quality and the fit and finish is good. The exterior and color speak for themselves just look at the pics above. At this point I am once again a very satisfied Ford customer!

Old 08-25-2012, 11:29 PM
I bought my wife a Tuxedo black one with the polished 20's. Drove it 2600 miles last week to Disney and back. 20.4 mpg with v6 at 85ish. I love it. zipped thru the mountains in Virginia & West Virginia no problem. Kinda scary runnin corners in the rain but she took it like a champ. I only have one negative and I'm only gonna mention it cause it's weird and to see if it's just me. When my kids roll a rear window down the reverb horrible but that's the only negative thing I can say. (aside from the huge glass roof that somehow gets little hand prints on it lol)

Old 04-23-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife drives a '12 Limited with the 2.0 EB FWD. 55,000 miles and minimal issues.

I'm not trying to steer this thread negative, but more as a precaution.

There was a plastic type rattle at highway speeds that I think I finally figured out. The black plastic trim on the passenger side front wheel opening is attached to the lower body with a couple plastic barbed push pins. I installed some mud flaps at the time of purchase to keep road grime to a minimum as well. I removed the flap this afternoon to get to the wheel trim better and discovered a considerable amount of dirt and debris behind the wheel well liner which is pretty easily accessed once the flap was off and the lower wheel well lip was detached. I would say I had over a pint of this stuff which included small leaves as well. I figure most of the junk came down from the windshield wiper area and settled in the lower cavity.

Now, for the reason I bring this up. We don't have salty roads in the winter here but in areas that do, I would think this area should be flushed out quite often instead of allowing a salty brine to build up and rot that portion of the vehicle away.

I have an old Bronco so I have seen pictures of what that junk will do to unsuspecting frames and bodies.

Still enjoying the Explorer and plan to run it another 6 years or so before we decide if we want to change it out.

Also with no hard use, the area around the drivers side rear lift gate hinge is starting to separate. Not sure if glued joint is coming loose, or the metal fatigued but it will require some attention.

Last edited by WoodsTruck; 04-24-2016 at 09:02 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 to 2013 Explorer positive experiences