2005 Freestar - changed the battery and...

Old 11-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Freestar - changed the battery and...

Last week my wifes battery died in her 2005 Freestar (out of warrenty by 1 month...). So I changed the battery and read the manual about how to reset the power sliding side doors and rear hatch. I ran though the steps and the console buttons (in the roof) will not open the doors, and the doors will not open with the keyless unit. They will open under power if you push the buttons at each door panel. So the doors work.
The manual said:
If the console buttons do not work after the reset procedure to put the key in the OFF (#3 position) and pull the number #11 fuse wait 30 sec and reseat the fuse. Wait 10 seconds and do the reset process again. While I had the fuse out I tested it for continuity it is good. I also checked the fuse for the console panel it is good too. # 16 fuse.

Well that did not work.. I have tried it about 5 times. The manual said if that does not work "see your dealer for service". Well this car as been in the shop about 8 times in only 32k miles what a lemon. Anyway does anyone have any suggestion on what I may try to reset the console, the labor rates at the local ford dealership are $95 an hour, just trying to save some money.
UPDATE: I did a google search and found others with the same issue. Someone posted the you have to have the GEM module reset. Can I do that??

Last edited by Wolf-2; 11-16-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Usually, all you have to do is reinitialize the doors and liftgate. It's not so much resetting the GEM module, it's teaching the liftgate and door modules what position the doors are in.

Make sure the liftgate and both sliding doors are latched fully closed, and the fuel filler door is closed. With the key on and engine off, and making sure the power liftgate/sliding doors are on in the overhead console, hit both buttons for the power sliding doors together at the same time. They should unlatch and open, and if they do, after they're fully open, hit both buttons again at the same time to close them. If the sliding doors operate correctly, the power liftgate should come online as well.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 PM
www.myfordfreestyle.com is a good site my sister has an 05 and so far problem free

Old 11-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Screw-Me-05
www.myfordfreestyle.com is a good site my sister has an 05 and so far problem free
Freestar, not Freestyle.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:05 PM
Same problem again 3 yrs later Dead Battery... except..

Originally Posted by Quintin
Usually, all you have to do is reinitialize the doors and liftgate. It's not so much resetting the GEM module, it's teaching the liftgate and door modules what position the doors are in.

Make sure the liftgate and both sliding doors are latched fully closed, and the fuel filler door is closed. With the key on and engine off, and making sure the power liftgate/sliding doors are on in the overhead console, hit both buttons for the power sliding doors together at the same time. They should unlatch and open, and if they do, after they're fully open, hit both buttons again at the same time to close them. If the sliding doors operate correctly, the power liftgate should come online as well.
The process Quintin suggested last time worked... This time all it does and unlock the doors. same conditions as my first post back in 2008 (almost exactly 3 years later). Overhead buttons and remote do not work but the buttons at each door and rear hatch work fine.. Any suggestions... However the remote will unlock and lock the doors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Freestar - changed the battery and...