Door Rattle question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Rattle question

2001 XCap F150
Got a small rattle on the drivers side, everytime I hit a bump. Sound like the door, but also maybe the glass window inside the door. Anyone else have this. Is it easy to adjust the door.
Ideas?

Old 09-19-2002, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is prolly a longshot but I had an Aerostar with a similar problem. The drdivers side window rattled but only when it was down.

When I removed the door panel I found the lower part of the rubber window track laying at the bottom of the door. The window glass was rattling against the steel channel. To fix it I put the rubber piece back into the steel channel with some 3M weatherstrip on the backside of the rubber piece to secure it better.

Good luck.

Old 09-19-2002, 08:16 AM
Thanks, but mine has the rattle with the window up. I even tried pressing on the glass but it is still there. I can't really press on the back side window and drive at the same time. I just wanted to see if it was a common problem.

Old 09-19-2002, 11:26 AM
Haze,
I just pulled the door panels off of my '98 because of various rattles. I found that the metal rod that controls the lock was really making a lot of noise ratteling against the insideof the door. Mine has little plastic "hoops" that plug into the door and hold the rod in place. THe hoops had come loose where they push into the door metal. I pushed them back in, but they are now loose again... I was glad to see that it wasn't the glass ralletling around in there, that's what I tough it was at first too. Hope this helps some...

Aaron

Old 09-20-2002, 10:04 AM
Do you have a SuperCab? If so, your back door might not be latched at both the top and bottom. If the back door isn't properly latched, the front door will pop, rattle, squeak, etc.

Old 09-22-2002, 05:55 PM
No, I have the extended cab, but it does latch at the top and bottom and everything there looks and feels okay. Its not really a 'rattle' it only when I hit a bump or on a rough road. It soulnds like the whole door is moving but I know that isn't the case. I have to get a friend to sit and back and find it while I drive.

Old 09-22-2002, 10:21 PM
I had a similar problem...

but this weekend I fixed it I hope. I took the door panel off and banged the door around and the freakin thing would not rattle. I made sure that the window motor was secured and started feeling around. I found that one of the wire clips that hold the wire for the door light had came undone. Every time I tapped it, the same name noise was produce as when I hit a bump in the road. I popped the clip back in and shimmed the two clips that hold the lock rod...drove for 30 miles and seems to be much quieter. I still have a slight rattle but I beleive that is the drivers side mirror moving slightly when I hit a bump. Hope I was of some assistence.

Old 10-01-2002, 11:08 PM
Door Rattle

I have a similar problem with my '97 Extended Cab. As you may know, the drivers side did not have an opening rear door like on the passenger side. But my door rattles whenever you hit any bump, but I found out today while I had the door panel off that nothing was loose. I also held the door closed as tight as I could with my left arm while I was driving, and the rattle definitely went away. I believe the door isn't closing tight enough, but I do not know if there is any adjustments I can make to it?

Old 10-04-2002, 11:24 PM
my 00 was making that sound. same thing as u described, window was up and only heard it when i hit bumps. turned out that the panel was making the noise. down on the bottom, in the curve on the hinge side is a plastic tab thats on the panel. it rests against the metal. that was what was making my rattle. i pulled the panel back slightly and put a small peice of rubber on the tab and it solved my problem..

Old 10-07-2002, 06:48 AM
door rattle

Sometimes, when I hear my old 97 extended cab rattle, I hit the door locks, and that seems to take care of the problem. My latest annoyance? My seatbelt squeaks as my torso pulls it in and out slightly when driving. Just turn the stereo up a bit more ...

Old 10-13-2002, 01:17 PM
I had the same problem on my 00 ext cab.Took it to the dealer and they adjusted the lock mechanism.this was covered under factory warranty.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:55 AM
I have noticed that the door lock **** itself will rattle against the door panel. If I lock the doors or hold onto the **** it will quit. I am trying to figure out a fix but have not really got it figured out yet.

Old 11-26-2003, 03:46 PM
I have an 02 screw. when I test drove my truck it had a rattle and they said that all ford trucks do it some bolt comes loose inside the door panel, something with the window regulator. Whatever it was it was fixed in about ten minutes.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Tdl
Hate to revive an old thread, but thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Had the same problem with my 99 XL, kept getting a rattle through the window down into the door when closing it or hitting bumps.

Took the door panel off and found that the bolt and washer that holds the window guide to the inside of the door had pulled through the metal enough that the washer slipped in.

I took the bolt off and put a bigger washer under the existing one so it won't slip in. The problem is that I'm sure it's only a matter of time until the metal gets bent in even more and this washer slips through.

Any suggestions on how to keep it from getting worse? I was thinking a thick rubber shim or maybe just a wider metal plate to distribute the pressure.

Quick Reply: Door Rattle question