Emblem project, fingers crossed this works.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emblem project, fingers crossed this works.

My front emblem was peeling & looking horrible, I couldn't take it another day. I decided to see if I could fix this myself, I hope it does since I'm saving my dimes for wheels/tires. If not, I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a new set of badges. I've added a small girlie twist to this project & the final picture will show the girlie part my husband hated, think pink & sparkly. Maybe it will keep him from driving my truck so much, muhaha. I plan on using a clear epoxy to fully coat the badge when it's done & hopfully keep it from peeling again.

If it ends up looking like crap I've lost nothing but a few hours of time and a few brain cells from some wicked strong glue & lacquer thinner. Fingers crossed that it works.

I used lacquer thinner to remove all the old paint and remaining plastic coating or whatever it was. Keep it off the plastic, backing plate, it makes it smudgy and messy. It got a good rub down with fine steel wool & the word ford got metal polished with a Q-tip & Mequires metal polish since I wanted it in chrome.

After scuffing up the background fairly well with the steel wool I painted the background with model car paint in gloss black. It took about four layers with about a day in between coats. A very fine pointed paint brush, a sowing needle & a tooth pick. The paint tended to get sticky fast. by shaking the bottle often & doing the outling of the word and other outlines first. I used a larger brush to load the background with as much paint as possible, with as few brush strokes as possible.

The almost finished back ground, it needs to be cleaned up around the lettering and the outside ring was a real witch to do. The back ground does have waves & imperfections that I hope the epoxy layers will hide.

I'll post the final picture once it's done.
Wish me luck
Rhonda

Last edited by RhondaRocks; 05-09-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Good luck. Makes you appreciate Patriot Decals all the more as I did my oval in black and chrome some time ago - before Ford pounced on em.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Looks great so far!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 PM
well it was going good until I sprayed it with the epoxy coating, it looked like snot. Which it went on way too thick and messy. So I put it back in the paint thinner. amazingly enough the sparkly bits didn't come off, surprized me. I'll paint the background again and see what i can coat this with. This project is has turned into a waste of time. But, I'm determined to make it work since it's pissed me off.
Rhonda

[IMG]

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/a...rocks/mail.jpg

Old 05-11-2011, 11:49 PM
well it was going good until I sprayed it with the epoxy coating. Which it went on way too thick and messy. So I put it back in the paint thinner. amazingly enough the sparkly bits didn't come off, surprized me. I'll paint the background again and see what i can coat this with. This project is has turned into a waste of time. But, I'm determined to make it work since it's pissed me off.
Rhonda

[IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Emblem project, fingers crossed this works.