Fuel Door Fault Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 07:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Door Fault Code

2010 XLT Crew Cab.
I'm getting a check engine light now and then. Code P0442 which is Evaporated Emissions System Leak Detected (small leak). I've changed out the Fuel Tank Door unit with a new Ford item, and cleaned everything I can see by the filler door. I'm still getting the same light. Not all the time, but maybe once a month. I reset it by pulling the battery's ground cable for 10 seconds.
The Auto Zone report suggests change the Fuel Tank Fill Neck.
Is this an easy job? Suggestions?
Thanks.....

Old 02-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
This may not apply to your Ford but here is my story: P0442 mostly likely covers EVERYTHING in the evaporation emissions control system including the charcoal canister in the engine compartment. The fuel filler door is only one minor part of the complete system but it's the one that STUPID mechanics always blame. I had non-Ford car that was taken back to the stealership several times for the same problem and they always blamed me for not tightening the fuel cap, but the last time that it happened, I hadn't put fuel in it since the previous trip to the stealership! After a threat to return the car under the Lemon Law, they finally actually did some troubleshooting instead of playing blame-the-owner and they found a hair line crack in the plastic top of the charcoal canister. If I were you, I'd find a way to apply a slight positive pressure to the fuel tank and the evaporative control system and then I'd go over all of it with soapy water and look for an air leak. Get a FACTORY service manual and find out where all of the parts of that system are and check all of it.