Towing mirrors revisited...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing mirrors revisited...

So I found a pair of towing mirrors on C/L for a good price for my 04 XL150 work truck. Buying them tomm. Downloaded installation PDF and apparently there's a special tool needed to remove the window cranks so you can remove the door panels? Anyone have any idea what this tool is or if there is a reasonable facsimile [improper use of a tool] to accomplish this? Seems easy enough but I'm clueless how to remove the window cranks. No visible allen bolts or screws. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by justjohn
So I found a pair of towing mirrors on C/L for a good price for my 04 XL150 work truck. Buying them tomm. Downloaded installation PDF and apparently there's a special tool needed to remove the window cranks so you can remove the door panels? Anyone have any idea what this tool is or if there is a reasonable facsimile [improper use of a tool] to accomplish this? Seems easy enough but I'm clueless how to remove the window cranks. No visible allen bolts or screws. Thanks in advance.
If you have manual windows, it's just a T-15 torx bit. First pry up the window crank cover and then remove the crank with the t15.

Two bolts at the bottom of door, two bolts behind the door handle cover, remove speaker grille, unbolt speaker and unplug. Door panels comes off by pulling out and up. There are many clips. Mirrors are secured with 3 bolts.

I've taken my door panels off way too many times and swapped mirrors 3 times so far. It's easy.

If you have any more questions, ask and I can add photos on how to do it.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
If you have manual windows, it's just a T-15 torx bit. First pry up the window crank cover and then remove the crank with the t15.

Two bolts at the bottom of door, two bolts behind the door handle cover, remove speaker grille, unbolt speaker and unplug. Door panels comes off by pulling out and up. There are many clips. Mirrors are secured with 3 bolts.

I've taken my door panels off way too many times and swapped mirrors 3 times so far. It's easy.

If you have any more questions, ask and I can add photos on how to do it.
Thank you, Sir. I didn't realize there was a cover on the window cranks. Knew there had to be a bolt somewhere. Thanks again. John.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by justjohn
Thank you, Sir. I didn't realize there was a cover on the window cranks. Knew there had to be a bolt somewhere. Thanks again. John.
Not a problem. Let me know if you run into any issues with removal and I'll be glad to help.

Quick Reply: Towing mirrors revisited...