Cutting Holes in Chrome Bumper??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cutting Holes in Chrome Bumper??

Anyone here ever cut holes in their chrome bumper?

I bought some flush mount LED's lights for back up lights.... Thought about just mounting them in the plastic on either side of the tag recess (flush with outter face of bumper) but not sure there is enough room there...

Old 03-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Don't do it! Ultimately it will start to corrode...probably cause the chrome to flake off the bumper surrounding the hole...

If you do do it...apply self etching primer to the fresh bare metal...and then top with epoxy primer...that will probably buy you some time...

Just my $0.02...I was a painter in a past life, but have been out of the trade for about 18 years...

Regards!!

Old 03-05-2015, 02:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kcward
Don't do it! Ultimately it will start to corrode...probably cause the chrome to flake off the bumper surrounding the hole...

If you do do it...apply self etching primer to the fresh bare metal...and then top with epoxy primer...that will probably buy you some time...

Just my $0.02...I was a painter in a past life, but have been out of the trade for about 18 years...

Regards!!
X2. Mount your light underneath or somewhere else. I haven't tried cutting one of these bumpers but in the past bumpers were made of some HARD, thick (relatively) steel and were a bitch to cut through. They usually required a special saw and a very HD drill to cut through.

Search the forum, there's a number of posts that show some very good ways to mount back up lights w/o cutting the bumper.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Yeah I've got two other idea's but.... that was my first one.

I wish the plastic on either side of the tag recces was wider, they will almost fit, but only vertically. That's the easiest route, if they will indeed fit there.

I've got some small tubing I thought about welding me up a little bracket for them to fit in, and bolting the bracket to the bottom of the bumper... or welding them to the frame.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
. .

Quick Reply: Cutting Holes in Chrome Bumper??