Auto Locking Tailgate Project

Old 08-30-2003, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Locking Tailgate Project

Anyone that may be interested in this little project stay tuned to this thread for details later. I am preparing to add a door lock actuator into my tail gate and tie it into the factory keyless entry so that when doors are locked gate is locked and when doors are unlocked so is gate. You could even make a special configuration with a relay that will allow the gate to lock and unlock with the ignition (for those of you that do not have keyless entry).

Old 08-30-2003, 11:06 AM
This is one thing I wanted to do. Please post pics and how to! It would be appreciated.

Old 08-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a great option to add to the trucks. I bought mine from the following company and it works great
http://www.dynolock.net/Dyno-Elelock.htm
When I added my ARE cover it also has a electric lock from the factory so the both lock and unlock with the door button, remote and door pad.
By tying it into the passenger side lock wiring it works like the following.One click on the door pad or remote and it stays locked, 2 clicks and it unlocks passenger door, cover and tailgate. It will also auto lock with the doors when you put truck in drive. With it tied into factory set up you almost never have to worry about it locking as it will when you lock the front door by any of the buttons(except with manual locking or locks)

Good luck with the install, you wont regret it !!

Old 08-31-2003, 04:56 AM
Fordman,

Thanks for the link to Dyno lock. How much did the kit for the tailgate set you back? Reason I ask is because I am pretty sure I can get the actuator, wires, loom and connectors to do this for less. The little actuator they show you only sells for about $10 bucks each so I think I can keep the project cost under $15 and about an hour or two time.

Old 08-31-2003, 05:02 AM
Oh BTW,

Here is the link for the door lock actuators at a great price. Also you could make the gate lock by depressing the lock rod as well if you use a central locking door lock module but that kit runs about $40 and would be more difficult and time consuming to install.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:58 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cgorris... uhh... you didn't post the link.

Old 09-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Sorry RP,

The link for the actuators is www.slickcar.com They have the door lock actuators and many other actuators of various lengths and lift strengths so that you could even make your hard tonneau cover raise automatically if you wanted to go that for orhow about making your tailgate raise and lower automatically?? Lots of good ideas anyway. Just check out the site. Oh, if you have an older model truck they even have conversions so you can add a locking handle to it.

Old 09-16-2003, 08:45 PM
UPDATE!

Almost completed! I got the actuator in now and have taken all the pictures of the install. Total cost this far is about $20.00. I will update with pics and instructions in my album tomorrow. Check back with me then.

Old 09-17-2003, 01:39 PM
IT'S DONE!!!! HURRAY!!! TAKE A LOOK SEE!!

Well after a little time I finally got all the pics and directions uploaded to my album to show others how to make their tailgate auto lock with the keyless. Here is the link. ENJOY!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=4532

If you need instructions on how to make one for non-keyless entry truck let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Old 09-18-2003, 06:10 PM
electrick Taigate lock

Looks great cgorris.

Looks like you have a sprayed in bead liner. You are lucky, they sprayed the tailgate and the cover plate separately. The guys that did mine, sprayed the entire thing without disassembling. My Tailgate, cover and screwheads are all sprayed over.

Anyway, looks easy and cheap. Thanks for your directions.

Houstonwide

Old 09-19-2003, 06:48 AM
Was a piece a cake! Total time was only about 2hrs to install and that included the beer drinking time. Let me know if you need any help and I will do what I can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Locking Tailgate Project