Go Back   F150online Forums > Body > Other Body
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 04-23-2009, 03:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
how do I replace the radiator support?

I took the hood, grill and bumper off my 2001 to paint them and discovered a serious rust problem in the radiator support where it bolts onto the frame. On the driver side it is rusted through so badly that it is almost gone. (its only 8 years old - how can this be?).

I want to try to replace it myself. I have questions if anyone can answer them.

Is the radiator support the same on all 97-03 or do I have to find one for the specific year of my truck?
Do the fenders also have to come off to get access?
Are there any particulary diffcult steps that I will encounter?
Old 04-26-2009, 09:44 PM
1983 Ford Bronco

Vehicle: 1983 Ford Bronco
1. Probably interchangeable - ask the dealer parts department, or an aftermarket supplier, or any large junkyard.
2. Probably not.
3. Working it around the condenser, & wiggling it out between the fenders. Then realigning the fenders when you put it back in - you have to raise them slightly to put some weight on the core support.

. . .
Old 04-26-2009, 09:57 PM
1997 Ford F-150

Vehicle: 1997 F150
The early 97 models, had a different header panel. Mine was built in April 2006, and had old style headlight mounts.
That not a hard job, but a little meticulous. Most of the front cap is connected to it.

But, 'what caused it to rust out?' is a bigger question. Has it ever been in an accident, radiator leak, brake fluid or battery acid?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ford F150
I'm not the original owner, but there is evidence of some repainting in the front end, so it may have been damaged, or was already getting rusty. I just replaced the aluminum hood that was also corroded. The previous owner was living in Toronto where the humidity is high and they use tons of salt on the freeways in winter. Here in western Canada I would not expect to find rust on an 8 year old car.

I looked at it again, and I think it might be best to take the fenders off too, so that I can get easier access to the spot welds.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 AM