F-150 Easy Break-In

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know our trucks were this easy to break into.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it has been a widespread problem for all vehicles.
89-98 chevy trucks had the same problem, stick in a screwdriver and the handle literally falls off. Same goes for the second gen s10. the first gen wasnt hard to get into either.

Its not a ford truck problem, its a society problem.
Thieves can and will take anything they desire most of the time.

A member on another forum had a fully customized s10. Bagged, bodydropped, shaved etc etc. he had a viper alarm and a gps tracking unit thingamabob. it was stolen and the gps lost signal i think less then an hour later. It was found completely stripped, i mean bear body and chassie.

I would think the more visible security you see the more a thief is thinking hes found a goldmine. You lock up because you ahve things of value and most pro thiefs target a vehicle for its resaleable goods like stereos etc.

A thief thats just out to catch a joyride will probably steal some less labor intensive and more incognito vehicle then a newer keycoded one.

You cant make a fully thiefproof truck, and you cant live in fear all your life either.

Last edited by Fabian06SC; 08-15-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by rustyzipper
First of all I don't know why anybody would purchase a new vehicle without getting an alarm/starter disabler system installed the same day.
My '06 got broken into this very way and I can comment on this one. I didn't even know it was broken into. They didn't even break the keypad...it still worked. Just a small crack in the botton, no damaged to the paint even.

An alarm won't do anything for this type of break in. The thief gains access to the locking bolt directly and doesn't trip any alarms what so ever. It's a design flaw, alarms won't do anything.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by BLK03GT
My '06 got broken into this very way and I can comment on this one. I didn't even know it was broken into. They didn't even break the keypad...it still worked. Just a small crack in the botton, no damaged to the paint even.

An alarm won't do anything for this type of break in. The thief gains access to the locking bolt directly and doesn't trip any alarms what so ever. It's a design flaw, alarms won't do anything.

Thats not entirely true.
On most alarms the alarm is deactivated when the keyless is used to unlock the truck. If locked and armed, you still have to disarm the vehicle if you are going to unlock it with the door key in most cases. If the alarm goes off it should enable the starter interrupt curcuit thereby locking out the starter.

It would not reset untill the alarm is disabled. A smart theif can do that pretty quickly though.

This doesnt apply if you have your alarm set for deactivation upon the key cyl being used.... but why would you do that?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:22 AM

So? Does anyone have one of these Jimmi Jammers?? I'm really thinking of one!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by hivoltagefx4
So? Does anyone have one of these Jimmi Jammers?? I'm really thinking of one!!!
I put a set on mine. The thieves will probably cause more damage to the door skin, than what they can take. I refuse to put the warning sticker on mine. I have a kc autosound ca-460 on mine also.

My 98 Ranger had its door lock cylinder popped by the same method in 05.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:45 AM
I HAD a 91 Sierra stolen the same way. When I got it back you could see where they popped out the plastic bezel around the door handle to get in.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Nothing wrong with TFord's post. If anything he is giving members a heads up.

You dont think gang members and thieves are on their lap tops browsing Google to look up the quickest way to steal vehicles do you

Old 10-15-2007, 05:20 PM
ive thought several times about getting an alarm system, and ive thought of these other cool little tricks like this one
i do lock up and i really dont want my truck stolen, or items stolen from it
but why spend all this money to do it, if you get a thief that wants your truck he will get it no matter what
besides, i pay enough for insurance, i hope nothing ever happens to the new truck, but if it does its covered, and for everybody with all the aftermarket toys, you should look into extra insurance for your truck for this reason
its pretty cheap and is worth the extra money-i speak from experiance
insurance is one area where money is well spent-it may not be now but at some time it does pay for itself

Old 10-15-2007, 05:30 PM
they should make the door handle and surround out of metal. it would make it a lot harder to pry off.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by CANES676400
they should make the door handle and surround out of metal. it would make it a lot harder to pry off.

The windows could be made out of lexan, and they'd still find a way in

Old 10-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Talking

They smashed my glass, boy was that a mistake on his part. I'm not talking baseball bats here, he saw my casette deck and ran off, probably laughing...

Old 10-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Well, add me to the list of statistics.
I left work this evening and got into my truck and wondered why the console was open.
Then looked around and saw that all of the console and glovebox contents was all over the floor and passenger seat.
The damage to the drivers door lock was unoticed when I got in the seat.
I have added some pictures of the damage to my gallery, kehinnc.
I went by the dealer tonight and he said they repair 5 to 6 trucks a week. The cost is around $425.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by kehinnc
Well, add me to the list of statistics.
I left work this evening and got into my truck and wondered why the console was open.
Then looked around and saw that all of the console and glovebox contents was all over the floor and passenger seat.
The damage to the drivers door lock was unoticed when I got in the seat.
I have added some pictures of the damage to my gallery, kehinnc.
I went by the dealer tonight and he said they repair 5 to 6 trucks a week. The cost is around $425.
$425!!!
The part handle with key pad is about $55 and takes an hour or two for a first timer to instsll. I don't see any body damage. What else are they replacing?

Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
No auto maker has yet to sell a vehicle resistant to this bad boy.
Or even this bad boy.

Take it from me. I do this for a living.

Quick Reply: F-150 Easy Break-In