Vibrating Windshield Cowling Panels

Old 03-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Vibrating Windshield Cowling Panels

Well, I fixed my hood flutter at highway speeds. Thanks to all that replied to my previous post. The TSB 04-18-08 definitely helped me out...thanks again.

Now, If I can only repair the noisy vibrating windshield cowling panels. I already took my '05 Scab to the dealer in Feb 06 so they could look at the problem. The service folks replaced both of the panels (due to warranty) because they were "warped". Now, it seems that the noise has gotten much worse during highway driving (70 -75 MPH)...scrapping/tapping sound on the glass from the passenger side.

I know that my vehicle is still under warranty. Quite honestly, I do NOT have the time to keep taking my vehicle back in for service for this same issue. Apparently replacing the cowling panels did NOT correct the problem. I guess I could always take my truck to a different dealer and have them look at it...who knows?

If anybody knows how to remove these panels to get to the root of this problem, I would highly appreciate it. In a previous post, F-150Lover spoke of placing foam weatherstripping tape underneath the panels?

Has any other F-150 owner had similiar problems with windshield cowling noise/vibration?

Thanks for the help! Much obliged...

Old 10-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead - I've got the same issue on my 07 SCrew - anyone figure out a way to resolve this?

Old 10-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Use the search button and see if you don't get some threads where a screw was used to tie them down. There may even be a thread in the Articles and How to Section.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not familiar with the newer trucks, but on my old one, it's a result of the small tabs on the wiper cover bending where it rests on the cowl below the w/s. I'm pretty sure it was bent by a w/s installer pounding the trim down into its clips with his fist, which wouldn't be an issue on your newer trucks with rubber moulding preglued to the w/s. I bent them back down (to hold the cover up) and added foam tape to prevent the noise if they ever get loose again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vibrating Windshield Cowling Panels