99 Rear bumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Rear bumper

Has anyone disassembled the rear bumper on their F150? How does the plastic trim come off? To finish off my truck I need to paint the rear bumper.

Old 05-21-2004, 11:09 PM
From the 1999 F150/250 service manual - rear bumper removal:

1. Remove the two license plate lamp assemblies by twisting the lamp bulbs and pulling each out from behind the rear bumper.

2. Support the rear bumper.

3. If equipped, unbolt any trailer wiring recepticle(s) and move aside.

4. Remove the nuts that hold the bumper on. (I only see 4 in the diagram)

I think once the bumper is off you can figure out how the step pads come off. The manual doesn't detail. It may be necessary to unbolt the "arms" inside the rear bumper (10 bolts total)

Reverse for reinstall. The 10 arm bolts get 20-25 lb/ft and the bumper nuts get 57-75 lb/ft.

Old 05-31-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the info !

Old 08-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Resurrect an old thread as it has my question, but it doesn't have a definite answer.

I have been all over the net looking to see what the the proper way is to remove the bumper step pads off a 1999 f150's bumper.
I can find info on how to put them on, I see the clips holding them on, I don't want to force anything and break them.
Someone here must have popped those pads off before?

It must be just a simple inserting a screwdriver to release the tab?
I tried a little but don't want to break the retaining clips.

Thanks in advance, I repainted my front bumper, now I want to do the back.
I am doing it with the bumper on the truck and it looks a lot easier to just pop off the pads instead of taping them off. Plus I can get some new paint underneath.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Cool

I guess no one knows?

Old 09-07-2015, 11:06 AM
For someone in the future questioning this pad removal.
I just masked my step pads and painted the bumper with them on.

I tried squeezing, I inserted different screwdrivers to pry, tried cussing, nothing worked to release the clips.
I guess the only way is to break them then screw them back down, or just break them and install new ones.

It came out nice, but I did want to get some paint underneath. I did pry them up a little and inserted card board to lift it off the bumper so I could paint the edges some.
Underneath did not really look that bad.
And the painted bumper came out nice.

Thanks to all who replied.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 AM
I think the rear bumper pads attach the same as the top bed pads attach. be gentle popping them off , I suggest spraying each clip with W-D 40 or something like that so they will pop out without damage to the pads. maybe sense painting will be involved you should use a soap product , stay away from the oil products.
I have my rear bumper off at this time , I will look it over in a few minutes, , If there is a change to this , I will get back with pics. I need to figure the pic posting on F-150

Old 09-07-2015, 11:36 AM
awesome lill Ford Captain ,,, BRB

Old 09-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by DRBailey
I think the rear bumper pads attach the same as the top bed pads attach. be gentle popping them off , I suggest spraying each clip with W-D 40 or something like that so they will pop out without damage to the pads. maybe sense painting will be involved you should use a soap product , stay away from the oil products.
I have my rear bumper off at this time , I will look it over in a few minutes, , If there is a change to this , I will get back with pics. I need to figure the pic posting on F-150
Well I did not want to break them so I pried them up a hair and slid cardboard underneath to raise them a little.
I then taped everything off and sprayed painted the bumper. Primer, color coat, then clear coated.
I think it came out quite well.........for a rattle can paint job.
The original paint was 16 years old, and a different color.
Now the bumper's metal matches the vehicles color.
Much better.

Quick Reply: 99 Rear bumper