ashtray/cupholder fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ashtray/cupholder fix?

Anybody know how to fix an ashtray/cup holder that won't pop out to open? I have 2000 F150 and it seems that there must be a spring broken or missing because when I try to open it, the thing just pushes in and won't pop out like when new. When I want to use it, I have to pry it out with a small screwdriver.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Hi dixie!

I felt I had to reply because your screen name is the same as my dog's.

Pull the cupholder out and take a flashlight and shine it along the top edge. You'll be able to see 2 tabs in the back. Use a long skinny screwdriver to push one back and pull out that side. Repeat for other side and entire assembly will come out. There should be a piece of spring steel attached the back, if not it fell off. I've heard it can happen, if you find it reattach with a small screw instead of the glue the factory used.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Thank you!

I had the same thing happen to me. I recovered the spring/clip, but couldn't figure out how to remove the cup holder.

Originally Posted by flafonman
Hi dixie!

Pull the cupholder out and take a flashlight and shine it along the top edge. You'll be able to see 2 tabs in the back. Use a long skinny screwdriver to push one back and pull out that side. Repeat for other side and entire assembly will come out. There should be a piece of spring steel attached the back, if not it fell off. I've heard it can happen, if you find it reattach with a small screw instead of the glue the factory used.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:26 AM
lucky you my spring snapped the plastic so I need to replace the whole assembly glue wont hold. I never use it anyway except to hold change.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:18 AM
OK My Turn

I have the opposite problem, when I picked my truck up the cupholder would close, now it does halfway and no matter what I do it wont close, can't see anything blocking it though.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Smile

I took mine out the day I bought it....anyone that wants it can have it. They want like $50 for those things...I'll give it to ya!

Old 10-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Flafonman,

Thanks a bunch for the info. This JUST happened to me on my 2003 SCab about a week ago. I've been meaning to log on to see how the hell to get the damn thing out of the dash and sure enough, I found your post. Looks like I have something to try when I get home tonight! Thanks for the info. Hopefully it's a quick and easy fix and nothing actually broke off as far as the spring mechanism goes.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Originally Posted by flafonman
Hi dixie!

Old 10-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
when i pull the ash tray insert out of the cup holder piece, i just stick my hand to the bottom, and pull the bottom to me, and i hear and see the top lip facing me, pop up, then the whole thing just slides out. I think thats what yall are talking about...
-Patrick

Old 10-18-2006, 12:22 AM
Well, thanks to you guys, once again I saved myself a trip to the parts department. As suggested, I popped the sucker out.... only I was a little too enthusiastic and the light for the ashtray popped off. It doesn't seem to want to come on anymore either... but I don't care. The spring steel was completely detached and one broken drill bit and some cursing later and I had screwed the sumbeotch back on and popped it back in. Works like a charm. THANKS!

Regs,
Jeff

Old 11-01-2006, 10:25 PM
I'll add my heaps of thanks as well. As a noobie to this forum and a new F150 owner, I was able to fix my truck's non-functioning cup holder in a matter of minutes.

Popped it out, and two screws later, I was back in business. I will add this tho - the factory method of attachment (atleast in 2000) were what they call heat stakes. There is basically to plastic posts coming off of that molded tray. The spring steel is assembled over them, then with a heat tool, the plastic posts are melted or 'mushroomed" over the part. Its normally a very secure and permanent method of attachement, but it this case it seems to be failing quite often. May be the type of plastic, or the stress on the metal. Who knows. Doubt it'll give me anymore trouble.

now on to the next project....

thanks again
-mike

Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Man, you guys have been a huge help. I have been living with that busted spring for a long time. My problem was exactly as stated, the spring had just broken off the back of the ashtray. Two screws later, it's as good as new. A real easy fix. Thanks again. P.S. the two tabs the other guy talked about that you need to pry down with a screwdriver are accessible from the underside with just your fingers, just hold them down with your fingers and slide the ashtray out (much easier).

Last edited by Carguy1966; 06-06-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks from me too Dixiedog. I picked up my 2002 F150 XL Sport on Saturday and then on Sunday the spring broke off, I was able to get the spring but was wondering how to get the cup holder out. Thanks to you and Carguy1966 (you can pull the tabs from below) I was able to get the cup holder out. After a bit of sandpaper (for the remaining plastic nubs), a drill (I went slow and managed not to break a bit), 2 screws, and a blister (I hate those mini-screwdrivers) it's fixed and working like factory. I wonder why Ford didn't do that in the first place. Screws can't cost that much.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:28 PM
to all newbies... cupholders and all...

Run a few searches on your problems and 99% of the time you'll find an answer to your common problem / fix.
Such as the cup holder.
Good luck with your trucks.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Smile F150 cupholder ashtray

Thanks to all! Problem solved. BTW, the spring can be reattached with screws, but they are not very secure. A drop of hot glue will set them permanently.

Quick Reply: ashtray/cupholder fix?