Changer installed in Supercab with 60/40 seats...

Old 01-20-2002, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Changer installed in Supercab with 60/40 seats...

OK, I got the unit installed and I thought I'd take the time to document how I did it and where I put the unit, as with a 60/40 seat, there's no front console to drop the changer into.

First, I looked for a way to mount the unit on something other than directly to the floor. I thought that doing so would perhaps lead to carpet fibers getting into the unit too easily. Not saying that where I haven't won't, but al least there is a little room between the unit and the carpet.

I went and found a kitchen wire shelf that was about the right size. I then cut the wire legs off of it and then painted it. (More on the paint later - wouldn't do it the same way again.) Here it is during the painting.

Last edited by Rapier; 01-20-2002 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:03 PM
Next...

I then took some steel bar stock and cut to length for the changer mounts and secured the changer to the wire tray with stainless machine screws and nylon lock nuts.

I then checked the location the unit was going and found that the tray allowed the seat to travel over the changer without difficulty. Marking the position, I then removed the front seat of the truck and positioned the unit and using more stainless machine screws and nylon lock nuts, secured the tray/changer to the floor of the truck. Since the seat belt sensor has the wire going through the carpet, this meant that I didn't have to cut the carpet for the wiring harness.

Old 01-20-2002, 06:06 PM
Almost done...

I then reinstalled the seat, completed running the harness to the head unit, tapped the power line for the changer harness and reinstalled the head unit. Here's what the interior looks like after getting the seat back in. I'm pretty happy with the result. You have to look hard through the back windows to see the unit sitting under the seat.

Old 01-20-2002, 06:10 PM
Nice...

Lastly, reconnected the battery and tested the unit. It play's great, is hidden as much as a stock interior will allow, yet didn't break the bank...

Oh, the dash carpet usually lies flat, but in this picture, I moved it up a little as I took the picture...

That's it for the install. Hope it gives someone else an idea on how to install their changer in an interior that is definately "changer un-friendly".

Lastly, the painting of the tray I would do entirely different if I were to do this again. The rubberized surface of the tray turned out to not take a coat of paint well. If I were to do it again, I would have removed/sanded this surface to allow the paint to adhere better. Better yet, if I could find a tray made with plain wire, that would be easier still. Since the tray is under the seat, I don't think I'll worry about it for now.

Last edited by Rapier; 01-20-2002 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:24 PM
looks good truck is alot cleaner then the other photos

Old 01-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Thumbs up

Nice job, looks great good luck with it!!!!

Joey "O"

Old 01-20-2002, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Gives me something more to think about.

Old 01-28-2002, 05:08 PM
Looks great! One question...did you wife shoot you for stealing that rack from the kitchen?

Old 02-04-2002, 12:56 AM
Nah...

She couldn't complain because I bought the thing instead of taking hers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changer installed in Supercab with 60/40 seats...