SuperCrew's HU wattage and question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperCrew's HU wattage and question

Hi,

My SuperCrew came with the "AM/FM Single CD w/4 Spkrs and Premium Sound" as standard equipment. The system doesn't sound too bad considering it's stock! Question: Does anyone know how much power this head unit came with?

I have a year-old Alpine 7854 4x40 watt CD player from my last vehicle and I'm wondering if this would be a good upgrade from the stock unit. It'll be powering four Polk DX7s that I have on order.

Thanks for your time,
Jon

Old 01-02-2002, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe I have the same truck as you. 01 SCrew with Premium Sound. The stock specs on the HU was something like 25W/channel (claimed...yeah sure). First thing I did was swap out the HU for a Rockford Fosgate RFX9000 (CD/MP3 player...very cool). The stock speaker went next, replaced with four Polk DX7's (like the ones you have on order). The Rockford HU was rated at 25Wx4 RMS and did okay at pushing the 4 Polks. I just finished installing a Kicker ZX460 amp. Now the Polks really fly!! The HU you have should push the Polks okay but an external amp is a must to get the most out of the DX7's (the 4x40 rating of the Alpine is more than likely max, not RMS).

Good luck on the install.

BTW, just a warning....mounting a large amp can be "difficult" in a SCrew. My Kicker amp is still sitting under the rear passenger seat until I can figure out how to get it mounted inside the rear panel. The ZX460 is almost 3" high which makes it difficult to mount behind the rear seats. I believe most of the MTX amps can be mounted inside the rear panel since they are a bit shorter than my Kicker amp.

Aloha From Hawaii

Quick Reply: SuperCrew's HU wattage and question