New CD Deck

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New CD Deck

Got some questions about CD decks, preferably one with MP3 capabilites, because my deck just died. It was still under warranty at Best Buy so they gave me a $200 credit on a new deck with free installation. I haven't done any looking yet because it just happened, and I'm not sure what is out in stores today because I haven't had a reason to look in the past 4 years. If any of you could help me out with which brands to look at, and which ones to stay away from I would greatly appreciate it. I want to try and keep the cost under $100 (after the $200 credit) if possible. Thank you for any information.

Old 12-25-2001, 12:07 PM
I can see this is a hot topic....

Has anybody heard much about the new XM radios? I have a birthday coming up soon so I can afford a better deck, and was wondering if one of the new XM's would be nice to have now, or if it isn't worth the money.

Old 12-31-2001, 12:11 AM
well.......

Xm is really cool. i listened to it alot in bestbuy and i really like it. i love MP3 CD players too. On the XM front you have 2 choices pioneer or alpine. they are the only companies that make XM ready headunits. these units still need an XM antenna and hideaway XM tuner. as far as MP3 Players go there are more choices. I have heard good things about the JVC unit. And i have used the Alpine cda 7878 and it is by far the best unit. it reads MP3 discs as fast as a regular cd. i compared it too the top of the line kenwood and it blew it away. go to highwaymp3.com for lots of info on MP3 decks. I ended up buying the Alpine CDA-7878 because it Plays MP# and is XM ready(the only one to this date to have both features). plus it is a very nice unit with tons of options and features. the downside, you will pay. it retials for 800.00(i know......crazy). i got it for 560.00 shipped on ebay. still crazy, but it is the best. i dont have it yet but i will soon so if you have any ?s let me know

-steve

Old 01-01-2002, 04:27 PM
thanks for the info. i have decided against the XM though, i don't want to pay a monthly fee, and i really don't want that antenna. i am still thinking about the mp3, but best buy doesn't have much of a selection in mp3 capable decks, and i'm not sure if i would use it that much. we'll see though.

Quick Reply: New CD Deck