cd changer help

Old 12-19-2001, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cd changer help

My CD changer has suddenly quit and is reading no DJ. Appears to be getting no power. Fuses look fine. Anyone know how to get it out and how to diagnose the exact problem. I can't find any mounting screws or clips, and I wonder if it has a separate fuse. Does anyone know?

Old 12-19-2001, 02:52 PM
CD Changer

Where is your CD changer mounted (and in what kind of truck)? That can help on telling you how to get at it & remove it.

If this is the remote 6 or 10 disc changer, there is a harness that plugs into it with a small connector. (this provides power also)

With the power on (but engine off & radio on mute), try & disconnect & re-connect the connector. You should be able to hear the CD changer make a little noise (as long as the CD cartridge is inserted). This way you can verify that the changer harness conenctor on the changer side did not come loose.

If this is the changer that is integrated directly into the radio, then this could be a malfunction with the radio unit. To remove the radio, you need the Ford radio removal tool (about $4 at Wal-Mart). Some have stated that they have used a coat hanger wire.

you can take a look at this thread that has some pictures of what the removal tool looks like inserted in the radio.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=57934

Hope this helps!

Old 12-19-2001, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have a 97 extra cab with the 6 disc behind the driver seat in the door compartment. Is the plug you mentioned behind the head unit or on the changer itself. Also, I still dunno how to get the changer out if it is defective. Hope you can help me some more, you sound like you know what your talking about.

Old 12-20-2001, 03:04 PM
Let's see

In the links above, I was working with a 01 model year, but I don't think there is any difference on the changer. (could be wrong though!)

I was talking about the harness that plugs into the changer it's self.

Looking from the Top down, I think this connector would be on the lower left side. In my first post, there is a picture from someomne else that has the cable laying on the carpet. That should give you an idea on the size of the connector. It is less then an inch square.

On one side of the connector is a small plastic tang that locks it in place. You would need to press this to release it.

The actual wiring harness on the 01 S-cab that came with the one I purchased is a little different then the one I needed on my Screw, but the connector on the CD changer side is the same.

I am not sure how the plastic work is removed on your truck to get at the unit if you need to remove it as I don't have the same model as you do.

You could ask Brokeagin, the F150 member that sold me the radio/changer I rencetly installed as I think he has a 01 version of the same truck as you do (but I think his was mounted behind the passanger seat in the plastic tool box)

I take it that when you press the eject puttion on the changer that the cartridge does not come out ? If by chance it does eject, try inserting it again with a CD in slot 1. If it still does not work, I would suspect something is wrong with the innards of the changer. (sensor that checks for the cartridge)

Good luck!

Old 12-24-2001, 11:51 AM
You could ask Brokeagin, the F150 member that sold me the radio/changer I rencetly installed as I think he has a 01 version of the same truck as you do (but I think his was mounted behind the passanger seat in the plastic tool box)
Mine is a Regular Cab. BUT from what I have seen they all attach with the same 10 mm nuts. The brackets on the changer stick out from each side and the unit slides down over 4 studs and have nuts that hold them down. JHimes is correct, the best place to start is to unplug the connector and plug it back up. With the battery hooked up and the key off, you should hear the CD Changer making noise, basically the unit will cycle. Also, try and see if it will eject the cd cartridge. The unit does not have have a seperate fuse unless it is in the fuse box, have you checked all of these? I have not tried to pull the changer out of a 97 so I can not help you with pulling the unit out but you will probably have to remove the interior panels out similar to installing rear speakers. Let me know what you find and I will look it up and see if I can find anything on my CD.

David

Old 12-24-2001, 11:32 PM
Angry

I have checked all the fuses, no luck there. I see the nuts on the side of the unit, but cannot get to them because my inside rear door panel is around it. I took all the inside panels from around my rear door window, and could look down and see the brackets you speak of. I can't figure out how to get the bottom door panel off though, as it seems to be bolted around the changer. So cant get the changer out for the door panel, and cant get the door panel out for the changer. I think my answer lies in that plug everyone mentioned, but how do I get to the thing???? Can anyone with a x-cab 97 help? Thanks for everyones assistance. Travis

Old 12-27-2001, 01:23 PM
A few more things to try

As it appears that you have still having problems trying to figure out how to get the door panel off so you can get at the CD changer, I thought of a few other things to try.

Go to a auto parts store & look at a Haynes or Chilton book on your 97 & see if there are any diagrams or procedures on how to do that.

Also try & post your question to some of the body boards here, or start a new thread on how to get at the CD changer on your 97 Extra Cab.

This site (PDF manual) seems to show 1997 F150 front door panel removal. (still might give you some ideas about the rear)(http://www.kwmuth.com/TechSupport/PDFs/21000360.pdf
Check it out & see if it helps!

I also saw somewhere that you can get illistrated diagrams from http://www.crutchfield.com/ for about $5.

Here is another link that may be of some help, but this is for a 99.
http://www.alienmind.com/speaker_inst/

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2001, 10:28 AM
Lightbulb okay, got it

Well the back seat has to come out to get at it, Chiltons was the source I needed. CD changer was zapped, so opted for new head unit and in dash cd. Got the Kenwood 6017, 47 watts per channel, 130 color display from Circuit City for 259. Went ahead and got the pioneer 6x8 three ways put in the doors also. Big improvement. Thanks for the help everyone, this board is awesome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cd changer help