Sigle Sub

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sigle Sub

OK GUYS, HERE GOES NOTHIN. I JUST BOUGHT A KENWOOD CD PLAYER AND A SET OF INFINITY 6X8'S TO GO IN THE DOOR'S. I PLAN ON BUYING A SIGLE SUB OR MAYBE BUY A BOX AND PUT A SUB IN IT. 10" IS AS SMALL AS I WILL GO BECAUSE AN 8" JUST AIN'T ENOUGH. ARE THE AMPLIFIED BAZOOKA TUBES GOOD? THERE'S ALOT OF ROOM BEHIND MY SEAT AND I WAS ALSO WONDERING IF THE INFINITY BASSLINK SUB WOULD FIT BEHIND THERE. IT IS A REGULAR CAB PICKUP. I WOULD MUCH RATHER BUY AN AMPLIFIED SUB, THAN TO BUY THE AMP AND SUB SEPARATE AND HAVE TO WIRE ALL THAT UP. AND LAST, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW THE SOUND QUALITY IS WITH THESE AMPLIFIED SUBS? ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED. THANKS.

Old 12-17-2001, 12:30 PM
SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING. MY "N" BUTTON IS NOT WORKING RIGHT. IT SHOULD HAVE READ" SINGLE SUB" INSTEAD OF "SIGLE SUB". BET YOU GUY'S THOUGHT THERE WAS A NEW SUB ON THE MARKET CALLED THE "SIGLE" SUB! SORRY GUYS. I'M USUALLY A GOOD SPELLER.

Old 12-17-2001, 05:41 PM
Oh well.

Old 12-17-2001, 09:08 PM
forget i even posted.

Old 01-21-2002, 02:04 PM
hey wolverine,

i was wondering if you have bought anything yet. I am starting to look at the amplified bass tubes myself, but still have questions.

Old 01-21-2002, 02:40 PM
My wife has an ampified bass tube, and after living with it for about 3 years now I can categorically say that it sounds like an amplified tube with a speaker attached. OK Bass, but the sound is really rather muddy compared to an honest subwoof. If you have nothing to compare it to, and this is your first woofer, then it will sound pretty good. Save your pennies for the real thing, unless you positively absolutely dont have the space.
Wolvie: The Basslink has been getting some incredible reviews. Don't overlook some of the Qform boxes out there, and JL audio makes some killer boxes that are supposed to fit under a backseat, but I've seen mounted against a rear wall. You're probably going to have to come down out of the Gap and go to LaFollette or Middlesboro and visit a nice car audio shop to listen to some good units. It makes a difference and this is nothing you should be doing without first hand hearing. Take your time with this one.
And please, turn off your caps lock, will ya?

Old 01-21-2002, 03:15 PM
Kicker used to make amplified bass tubes as well. I heard they were actually very good. Other than that, I would say try a custom audio place, and see how much they would charge to make a box for 1 10" sub....JL Audio, anyone?!?!?!?!?

Old 01-22-2002, 09:55 AM
Amen. JL subs kick butt! But they also require heavy feeding. Plan accordingly.

Old 01-22-2002, 08:38 PM
a custom, normal shaped boxed should be less than $100.

Old 01-23-2002, 10:09 PM
.......not including subs or amp, though.

Old 01-24-2002, 10:24 AM
Sundog, There is a Best Buy in Maynardville just down the road about an hour away. Do you reckon they would have sub boxes? I'll just have to go and see. If they don't have the one I want, I at least hope there is someone there who can make em'. Oh yeah, I'm going to go with a JL audio 12" sub. If they have them. Can you tell me a good mono- amp to match with this sub? Sorry about leaving my caps lock on. It's just a habit. Later man.

Old 01-24-2002, 06:32 PM
No, best buy will NOT have decent boxes. They probably carry q-logic particle board boxes that disentegrate into dust (blah, had a sub move so much it ripped itself out of a q-logic box)

Any car-audio shop can build a box out of 3/4" MDF really quickly. It's not a hard task if you have nice saw blades that square off the edges nicely.

Old 01-25-2002, 05:55 PM
I have a single sub mounted in a custom box under my backseat. It's got a 10" MTX blue thunder speaker in it. Its powered by a 400 watt Kenwood amp. The rest of the system is all factory. It has a lot of bass for one speaker. However, if you are mostly interested in getting a lot of bass I would go with something bigger than a 10" sub. My buddy has practically the same set up with a 12" and it produces a much deeper bass.

Old 01-25-2002, 08:02 PM
Thanks krushrr. I was thinking about a 10" sub, but I thought " nah, better go for the 12." But hey, it's only a few more dollars anayway.

Old 01-26-2002, 12:25 AM
I would agree with Corpsie. BestBuy is not a place to obtain car stereo. At least not for discerning adults. And JL12's will certainly be great, but you won't need that size for your cab unless you plan on entering competition or are real keen on SPL. I have a single 10 in my SCrew (amped with an RF 300a) and that's MORE than enough. The extra money is better spent on a clean amp. In that, I would agree with Krushrr. A 12 will not get you more bass necessarily. The Amp is The Thing that drives the coil.
Try checking these places out:
http://www.hvcamn.com/
(and check out their audio forum. excellent install advice)
http://www.ampmanaudio.com/index.asp
http://www.sfxaudio.com/index.asp
http://www.competitionsound.com/
Consider purchasing your wiring, connectors and bits/pieces here:
http://www.partsexpress.com/

Quick Reply: Sigle Sub