XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation XM Radio

OK audiophiles, this new XM radio sound like a great idea. How is it overall?? What did the total package run you?? What HU do you recommend?
Thanks

Old 11-13-2001, 05:23 PM
i checked it out yesterday at sound advice. the sound was very good and the unit worked nicely. it was i pioneer. i think only pioneer and alpine make XM ready HUs. they are both very good and range from inexpensive to expensive depending on features you want and money you have. in addition to the HU you will need a tuner and an antenna. probaby another 200 or so on top of the HU.
-steve

Old 11-13-2001, 05:34 PM
Here is a link with some prices, granted that Crutchfield is not the cheapest place to buy stereo equipment, it will give you an idea.
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...up.asp?g=69000

It looks to me like you are going to be spending at least $200 for a turner for a XM compatible stereo and anywhere from $250 to $400 for a Universal add-on tuner that will work with any stereo. On top of the turner, you have to have an antenna which will be from $80 to $150.

So, if you already have an XM compatible reciever, you can get going for about $300 plus a subscription. I think I'll wait awhile. I'm sure the prices will be going down.

Old 11-13-2001, 06:58 PM
you can listen to the XM programming online to see if you like it. The channels I was listening to were all censored, so I'm not going to bother with it. their address is www.xmradio.com

I have the Alpine 7873 HU which is XM ready. It sounds great and matches the factory illumination.

Mitch

Old 11-14-2001, 10:27 PM
ive been looking around on ebay..... you can get an xm reciever plus an xm ready headunit for 269..... or you can get the add on FM modulated reciever for 199.....bolth of these need an XM antenna 85 from the ebay guy.... so you are lookin at 260 min to get set up.......

-steve

Old 11-14-2001, 11:42 PM
The only thing to remember is that with the FM modulated XM reciever is that the sound quality is only good as the FM signal. Meaning that the direct connect one will be digital quality and the FM type will be digital until it is sent out over the preset transmitter frequency. All in all even the FM type will probably have great SQ (look at the fm cd changers, which sound great)and wide choice of music.

Old 11-14-2001, 11:56 PM
Nah, if I do it, it will be XM direct connect all the way, no FM connections. I'm going to my local tunes shop this week to take a first hand look at it and check local prices.

Old 11-15-2001, 12:05 AM
I have been listening on the computer for about 2 days now. It sounds like they have a couple of playlists that they alternate.

It's a cool concept, but it's still censored. I don't know about you guys, but when I listen to a song that has naughty language, I expect to hear it. I get kind of mad when they play the clean version. It seems unnecessary on a pay service.

Maybe I'm just a potty mouth...

Old 11-15-2001, 11:04 PM
the FM is the cheapest way and is still pretty good. but not good enough for me.... i am going to get a pioneer dhp-p9300 HU with a pioneer XM reciever, i want to get the terk sr-1 antenna because it is the only one i can see a good place to mount. but i cant find it online anywhere. the pioneer one is easy to find and cheap, but is a beast. and i dont want it on my roof. if it can go inside it would be ok but i dont think it can...so i want the terk

-steve

Old 11-16-2001, 07:48 PM
XM is the way!!!

I have had XM Radio in my truck for about a month now...perk for selling Pioneer...and I love it. I will have to agree with the other post on here about going direct connect. The signal is digital and if you use the FM mod unit it will just be an analog signal and you will be losing the benefit of XM. I do not see how XM can be a bad choice for anyone who is into music. You will never run out of options when listening to the 100 stations they provide. Before I started repping Pioneer I mananged a car audio store and I have always been a huge Pioneer fan, and this optimism for the product does not come from repping it, but as a true 12 volt enthusiast.

Last edited by 12Vrep; 03-10-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2001, 01:34 AM
finally someone who actually has it....... a few ?'s

-what antenna did you buy
-where did you put it
-do you ever loose reception
-what Headunit did you use

thanks so much for your help
-steve

Old 11-17-2001, 07:14 AM
Okay, first I have the DEHP9300 head unit. The antenna I am using is the Pioneer AN90XM. Now here comes the odd part, that antenna is made to be mounted on the top of the car...no way am I sticking a beer can size magnetic object on the roof of my truck!!! What I did was ran the wire down the passenger side of the truck and placed it on the dash next to the pillar with velcro. I would like to think I started a new thing by doing that too. I have told all of our dealers about doing it that way and they all have started trying it. It works great, and as a matter of fact, I hear it may work better. Reception is great, not saying I don't lose the signal from time to time, but never more that a split second and it is very rare. Here is another thing for all of you stock people...BUY XM RADIO STOCK!!!!!! it is going up quick. I hope I have shed some light on the matter for everyone. I love the XM stuff and I think it will be here for a while. And one last thing, for anyone who may say "why pay for radio when you already get it for free" the answer is this "why pay for cable when you get ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX for free", and for all you NASCAR guys and gals there is a NASCAR station.

Old 11-17-2001, 07:25 AM
Sorry.....

...forgot to say that it DOES NOT look bad sitting on the dash. Also the Pioneer antenna is truly DESIGNED to be used with the Pioneer stuff. I have heard that some of the other antennas on the market have at least a 3db signal loss. Someone said something about going on line to listen...doesn't do it justice. Hey Steve(HD), I am going to be down your way...I think... in January. Going to Lauderdale on the 7th. Anything I should check out?

Old 11-17-2001, 10:53 PM
I am going to be getting the deh9300 HU also, how does it look in the dash? and at night does it look bad because it is blue? also, where did you mount the XM tuner, i was going to put it under the drivers seat. i was thinking the same thing about the antenna situation.... is your on the passenger side? i was looking at the terk sr-1 thru glass. do you know if that is a good one? thanks so much for all of the answers!!! oh and about Ft. Lauderdale, i know there is aloth down there but i dong go there too much.....if you look for sunrise street (i think it is a little norht of lauderdale) there is a huge truck store called supertruck(i think) there is also several exotic car stores.....like auto toystore (the ones in dupont magizene)

-steve

Old 11-17-2001, 11:06 PM
I know the stores you are talking about, we called that the million dollar mile when we first seen it. I think the DEHP9300 looks great in the dash since it is a multi color display. I mounted my XM tuner to the bottom of my CD changer which is hanging from the bottom of my rear seat. I did put the antenna on the passenger side. The Terk are fine, but I know the Pioneer will...or should...work better. Let me know what you think after you get it in.

Quick Reply: XM Radio