Can you change the factory tape head unit for CD, and still control the changer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you change the OEM tape head unit for OEM CD, and still control the changer?

I have a 2000 Lightning, and I want to put a late model OEM CD head unit in place of the tape head unit. Will this control the changer? If so, would it matter what year or model of the CD head unit was? I have not owned any tapes in about 10 years, and that changer is next to impossible to get to! Thanks in advance for any info.

Jimmy

Last edited by TAKECOVER; 11-04-2001 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2001, 09:42 AM
If you are going to try and run the changer with an aftermarket HU, it won't work. I would think if you could find one (if they made one, a single disc factory HU that is) it would work if it had the cd changer button on it. Although, every single disc factory HU i've seen will not control a changer. I know many on this site have relocated their changer to under the seat where it is easier to get to. I hear you on owning a tape thing!!

Old 11-04-2001, 12:43 PM
Thumbs up

As long as it is a late model OEM single-CD deck out of another F-150, then it should work just fine. FlashSVT on this board has already done this same swap. You can check out his photos here.

~rick

Old 11-06-2001, 10:47 PM
Re: Can you change the OEM tape head unit for OEM CD, and still control the changer?

Originally posted by TAKECOVER
I have a 2000 Lightning, and I want to put a late model OEM CD head unit in place of the tape head unit. Will this control the changer? If so, would it matter what year or model of the CD head unit was? I have not owned any tapes in about 10 years, and that changer is next to impossible to get to! Thanks in advance for any info.

Jimmy
I have all aftermarket stuff in my Lightning, but I have heard of a few guys who relocated the factory CD changer under the front of the center seat.

Come over to the Lightning Forum, say hi to all of us, and ask the same question, you will get a answer real quick.

See you there

Don

Old 11-07-2001, 04:11 PM
See the thread with the Subj: "Ford/Visteon CD-6"

Currently, it is right above this one....but that could, ah, er um, change (no pun intended).

Quick Reply: Can you change the factory tape head unit for CD, and still control the changer?