Help...anyone add amp to 97 F150??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...anyone add amp to 97 F150??

I have 1997 F150 with the factory HU and the added factory 6disc changer. I want to add a line level converter and then run RCA's. I ran into trouble when the speaker wires did not match up with the square plug wire colors. Closer inspection shows speaker wires plugging into another harness which leads to what looks like a factory amp. Is this possible?? Can I still add an amp with the LLC and factory HU?? Or am I going to have to buy an aftermarket head unit?? If I add the LLC, can I add it to the speaker wires after the "amp looking thing"?? If not, it is going to be extremely difficult to figure out which wires in the plug are the left and right speakers (colors won't match the color wire present @ the speaker!!)

Old 10-25-2001, 04:58 PM
Exclamation Anyone with some advice?????

Come on, I know there are some members here that have added an amp to their 97 F150 XLT. Can you please help me out here??!

Old 10-26-2001, 05:27 PM
Angry Anyone??

Well, I guess no one on this board has put an amp in there 1997 F150 using the factory HU. Not too much help received when I have to answer my own posts!!!

Old 10-27-2001, 11:54 PM
PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!

Hey, can SOMEBODY help me out ???

Old 10-28-2001, 02:09 PM
I recently put a Kenwood HU in my 97. I did have the factory amp and you are correct the wires are a mess. I installed the unit myself and by the advice of a local audio shop left factory amp installed. (you must be sure to wire it up to turn on if you install an aftermarket HU otherwise it will not turn on and will have no sound) I had to get the correct speaker wire colors at the speaker. I found several diagrams on the net and they did not match up. I changed the speakers to memphis 2 ways in the fromt and Kenwood 3 ways in the back. Sounds Great!

Good luck!

Is there a chance you lived in Southern Indiana when you were a kid?

Old 10-28-2001, 03:43 PM
Smile Thank you for replying!

Thanks...just a couple questions?? Do you have the premium setup?? I have what I think is, the regular tape deck with a 6cd changer. Did you find out what/where to splice into for the speaker connections?? What Kenwood cd player did you install? I am thinking about buying the Kenwood KDC-716S if this install involves too much cutting of the factory wiring.

Sorry, I have lived in Maine my entire life. Actually the same house for the past 19 yrs. About to move out on my own though!! Are you just curious?? -Matt

Old 10-28-2001, 05:48 PM
I did have the premium setup with the six disc changer. I used the factory amp so I did not need to splice under the dash. The audio shop I bought the unit wired the harness to fit the premium OE harness. (it took them two tries to get it right. I put in a KDC316S. Good deck not overly expensive.

I went to grade school with a Mike Hussey. (30 years ago)

Old 10-28-2001, 10:14 PM
Ah, I see...

Thanks for the help. How do you know you have the premium system, does it say it on the speaker grills like it did in our 1999 Expy EB?? Funny, I have an uncle Mike (Hussey) who is in his fifties. I am only twenty years old, but I have also talked with a Mark and Mike Hussey on this board who are in their 30's. Maybe it was one of them?

Old 10-29-2001, 09:04 AM
The best way to tell if you have the Premium system is by the plugs on the back of the factory radio. The regular sound system has two flat plugs. The premium system has one flat plug and one square or rectangular plug. At least that is the way Iremember it.

You may want to do a search on this site. I am sure you will find some good info and some good links to info.

Quick Reply: Help...anyone add amp to 97 F150??