Calling Flatlander, or anyone else w/ experience changing HU's on 1997's

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Calling Flatlander, or anyone else w/ experience changing HU's on 1997's

I've got some more questions about how you went about changing your head unit. What shape were your plugs that went into the back? I've got two thin vertical plugs. The one on the left (as you look at it from the rear) has seven flat pins in it. The one on the right (nearest the corner) it has eight small flat pins. I talked to a guy that had a bunch of cd players on e-bay, he seems to think if I have this setup, the only option for me is to get a fm modulated changer, which I currently have, and don't particularly care a damn bit for. So.. what I'm wondering is: What shape were your plugs? If they were the same as mine.. I'd say that pretty much anything will work. Also my radio starts out as double din size in the front, and quickly slops down to single din size in the back? Is this also what everyone else's also does? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-15-2001, 12:45 PM
if you're changing out your head unit, the best way thing for you to do is run down to your local circuit city or car stereo shop and get two things- a mounting kit and a wiring harness. Tell 'em your year model and new head unit type (mfgr and model#). The mounting kit will convert your 1 1/2 DIN slot to a 1 DIN slot, and the wiring harness will make your speaker, power, etc. connections a LOT easier!

word.

Old 10-15-2001, 08:34 PM
Exclamation

I guess i shoulda made this a little clearer in my previous post. I'm wanting to keep a factory look in my pickup, yet add the cd player. I am really wanting to do like Flatlander and put in a 2000 or 2001 cd player. I'm needing any information regarding this. Thanks

Old 10-16-2001, 09:26 AM
Talking

Hi! You're on the right track anyway. Yes that is the shape of the newer radios, too. I did forget to tell you one thing earlier, and now I have forgotten how I did it. There is a bracket that holds up the back of the older deck that does not match the newer ones. I think I just bent something in there (I don't remember what I did!?!?) and put a piece of foam under the new deck for extra support. It fit nice and tight in there and doesn't move at all. You'll need the extra wiring adapters because the newer decks don't have the same plug-ins as our '97's. So when you get a new stereo, take both to a stereo shop and they'll find the correct plugs. Then, it's a simple matter of matching the wire colors on the adapters (red-red.....gray-gray...etc..). Let me know if you've got more questions!

Old 10-16-2001, 05:41 PM
So........Flat............did you have the two vertical narrow plugs? Or the later style that has one, nearly square plug? I doubt that it makes a *****s bit of difference! You've been a great help so far. Thanks, I appreciate it.

Old 10-16-2001, 05:45 PM
Talking

You're welcome! The two vertical plugs are on my truck. The new radio had one square plug-in.

Old 10-16-2001, 07:33 PM
Thanks Flat... I guess I heard what I wanted to hear, now the "easy" part, finding a cd player! Thanks.

Old 10-17-2001, 09:18 AM
Talking

Factory AM/FM CD player
This is a factory Ford AM/FM CD Player. It is not a 6 disc, it is a
single. It is coming out of a 2001 Supercrew. It works...
http://www.F150world.com/classifieds...ail.asp?id=768

Just saw that this morning, you might check it out! I think their server is down right now. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2001, 12:16 PM
Thanks Flatlander, you've been more than helpful in every way possible. I emailed the gentlemen today to find out what he was asking and what it would take to get it here to Kansas from Florida. Thanks again

Old 10-17-2001, 12:19 PM
Thumbs up

Great! Glad I could help ya.

Old 10-17-2001, 02:21 PM
Talking

Hey I got the chance to borrow a digital camera today. Here's what it looks like (in bright daylight only though).

Quick Reply: Calling Flatlander, or anyone else w/ experience changing HU's on 1997's