What amp or amps?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2001, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What amp or amps?????

Ok here is the system I am going to buy.

Head unit Alpine cda-7873 60Wx4

Front Speakers Polk/momo mm465 peak 150w

Rear Speakers polk EX 368 peak 190w

Ok the question I have is what amp do I buy? I have heard the mm465s need a good amp to produce quality sound. I also am not sure if I should bother putting a amp on the rear speakers.

So I need input on if I should buy 4 channel to power all speakers?2 2 channel amps to power them seperate? Just 1 for the fronts? Also what kind do you recomend and how powerful a amp do I need?

Old 10-14-2001, 11:45 PM
Amp the rear, or get an amp w/enough channels to make it amount to the same thing. I have two amps in my SCrew -- one for the woof; one for the front components. I let the HU power my rear "fill" speakers. As wired/amp'd, I may as well not have any rear speakers. Can't hear 'em (and they're good Kicker coax's). I plan of ripping out my aftermarket HU. When I do, I'll replace the rear coax with either a pair of good midrange, or good tweets. The HU will have plenty of power for that, and the upgraded speakers back there are really a waste, even if they were properly amp'd, because the front stage is so damm sweet. My advice to those considering aftermarket the first time: Buy Quality components for the front. Buy a woof. Amp both. Then wait a few months before deciding what, if anything, you do to the "rear". More speakers is not necessarily "better". Your setup looks fine on paper, MAC. Alpine makes a fine HU. But I think you'll find that your rear stage will be essentially aurally "lost".
As for amps.....Well, there's as many choices as opinions. I have found in my shopping that you get exactly what you pay for. I've been pleased with the performance of my Rockford Fosgate/woof setup. A Kicker 55W powers my front stage. Plenty for me. It's all clean. You can buy more expensive, glamorous if you like. Don't know about you, but you can't see my amps. Why spend extra for a "kewl" shell?

Last edited by sundog7; 10-14-2001 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2001, 03:27 PM
Thanks for all the info. I have contacted polk and the recomend a 150 watt amp for the momo speakers. So I think I will get a 150watt Alpine.

thanks again for the info

Old 10-21-2001, 11:28 AM
go with the dx7s in the rear... theyre much better. Also, I'm runnign the MRV F-307 on the MM465s in the front and DX7s in the rear... sounds VERY nice!.

Old 10-23-2001, 01:55 AM
If you want excellent quality and sound clarity from an amp, look at the Phoenix Gold Tantrum Series. They are incredible units!
Or if you don't mind spending the money, I don't think there is much better out there than the Phoenix Gold Titanium series (AKA the ZX series).

Quick Reply: What amp or amps?????