Kenwood Double Din

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenwood Double Din

I was looking at installing a Kenwood DPX-4010 cd and cassette in my 97 supercab. This is a double din unit. Will it Fit?

Thanks!

John

Old 10-16-2001, 02:54 PM
I just finished a Kenwood 4020 today. It will fit although it is a custom install. Does not slip right in. I was hoping it would but no way. I had to trim out the opening like 3/8 of an inch above, and take out the plastic above where the head unit goes because it is slanted on the top. Take out your factory deck and you will see. Mine is not completely perfact but it looks good and fills the hole. It also sounds great!! and was worth the work. It took like a couple of hours and maybe a little longer to get out the tools. I used a dremel tool with a cutting bit(tile grout remover bit) and it cut like butter. Just check and recheck until it fits. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2001, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I got a little gunshy about putting that unit in. I went ahead and installed a single din Kenwood unit with Memphis 5x7 in the doors and Kenwood 6x9 in boxes in the back.
I am very pleased with the setup. I am glad you are happy with yours.

Anyone have any ideas what to put in the dead space above the single din unit? I do not like the flat black area on the dash kit.

Old 10-16-2001, 08:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Foglight switches and a stick on clock from Wal Mart? That's what I did with my space.,,,,,98

Old 10-16-2001, 11:59 PM
I was thinking along the same lines as 98. I plan to put some switches there or in JCwhitney they have a clock in/out temp guage that is long and skinny and might fit well there.

Old 10-17-2001, 07:22 PM
I got an installation kit from Circuit City, $15.00. It has a tray instead of the flat panel. Looks nice.
I also have a friend who put a voltmeter above his HU.
He did a great job and it looks great, the volt meter is a horizontal color bar. If you want picks let me know and I will try to get him to post some.

Old 10-17-2001, 09:05 PM
I thought about going ahead and getting a different kit. I would be interested in the volt meter though. That is a different idea. A brand name would be great. I will get on the net and look it up.

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2001, 02:05 PM
WILL IT FIT!!!!!!!

I just got a pioneer DIN sized cd player and a pioneer DIN sized equalizer and I was wondering if they will fit in my 1998 ford expedition??????? Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2001, 09:48 PM
It will work with some selective trimming behind the dash. Easily accomplished with a dremel cutting tool. See my post above.

Old 11-13-2001, 11:23 AM
Here's a pic, I didn't have one earlier

Old 11-13-2001, 06:55 PM

How does that cobra wxst 75 work for you? I've been debating getting one of these and patching it into the factory radio antenna.

Mitch

Old 11-13-2001, 08:22 PM
Smile

Well, right now not too good I think my through the glass antenna is a big POS. It worked great for a while, now it has alot of static and the recieving end is weak. I guess I'm back to the magnet mount until I find something better. I refuse to drill a hole in the roof of this truck,,,,,98

Yes, it does work pretty well usually.

Old 11-13-2001, 09:41 PM
CB antenna....

Most on glass antenna's work marginally. They will no where near compare to a mag mount or the best way (performance only IMO) through the roof. Any antenna needs a ground plane to function correctly and there is not ground plane with on-glass antennas. They end up using parts of metal of the truck to reflect the signal off from. To add onto that, the antenna and juction box are only capacitively coupled through the glass. You can buy an aftermarket antenna with a coupling box to T into with the am/fm stereo antenna. The factory antenna can not be used because it is not the correct impedance and will not match up. Mag mounts will end up scratching and/or mark up the paint. You can use a mount we call a K361 which mounts with two 5/16" screws into the front fender of a vehicle. The hood hides the screws, the L shaped bracket gives a level plane to mount an antenna. When you are done, two small holes are left and can only be seen if the hood is lifted and the holes are looked for. But, the only way to go would be to bolt a 108" whip with mount and spring right throught the body directly behind the door...just like we do with the Logging companys that are on low band (32-50 MHz) Just kidding, I would never recommend doing that to a nice looking truck that is highly cared for! (like the many that are owned by members of this board). Hope I could help out. -Matt

Old 11-14-2001, 12:30 AM
I'm inclined to do the radio antenna with a coupler, or possibly the under hood mount. Where would I buy either of these? I think I've seen the radio antennas with the couplers at radio shack, but they are universal and wouldn't look good on my truck.

How about a bracket off the front edge of the tailgate with a 4' top loaded antenna mounted to it? Would this not have enough ground plane to work?

Mitch

Old 11-14-2001, 03:44 PM
show me pics of double din install

B's97150

Do you have any pics of your install.
Or does any one else have pics of a double din install. I don't mind cutting a little on the inside but I don't want the outside to look hacked up.

I really want to the cd/tape combo but nobody has see fit to make one for Fords. I may just end up with a good cassette h/u and my disk changer.

Thanks
REDBUCK50

Quick Reply: Kenwood Double Din