not so clean sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not so clean sound

I recently installed a Eclipse EQ and now have a disturbing not so clean sound (static) and a small amount of engine noise. Could this be a not so good ground???? HELP!! Could someone tell me how to post pics?

Old 10-08-2001, 04:07 PM
Dscrew: Several factors here.

a) Could be a bad ground, or a dirty ground.
- Check your ground, make sure it has a clean connnection
- Use your multi-meter to check continuity between negative-pole and chasis point where you're grounding.
- Try re-grounding to the kickpannel area.

b) Could be a bad eq.
- Try the EQ on a bench situation - out of the car.
- IF the problem persists exchange the EQ for a new one, or call tech support

c) Check the levels on the headunit
- Make sure all levels are flat, and volume is at low level.
- IF the problem goes away, then you need a cleaner headunit.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-08-2001, 10:32 PM
Could any of your wires possibly be to close to a power wire or a wire that goes out to the engine compartment? Just an idea.

Old 10-09-2001, 08:58 PM
Here's a couple of other suggestions. Check to make sure your RCA cables are in good shape. If you're using the cheap, lamp cord RCA's, go to the store and spend the money for some good shielded and balanced ones. If you don't want to pop for Monster Cable (my personal favorite), Phoenix Gold, Stinger, Street Wires, Rockford Fosgate, Scosche, or any of the other name brands, then at least go to Radio Shack and get some of those. Make sure you do not bundle up the RCA Cables. Buy short cables (1/2 meter) to go from the head unit to the EQ. Make sure all of the RCA's are plugged in tightly and there are no other wires touching them.

Old 10-09-2001, 11:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies,I havent had time to do anthing. Tonight I had the HU volume at ZERO and the EQ at ZERO without the engine on I still have a hissing sound. I will do some of the things from above and make a post with results. Is there a easy way to post pics.

Old 10-10-2001, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you might need to turn the gains on the amps down if you have hissing without any input from the HU or EQ...just a thought.

Old 10-17-2001, 07:36 AM
Angry

I have an Eclipse head unit, equalizer, etc. and experience the same problem plus others. The is the second head unit. First one replaced under warranty. I'd like to yank the thing out and throw it in the garbage if I didn't have so much $$'s in it. I'm still trying to get it right. One problem with the Eclipse that can't be fixed is the extremely poor radio reception. I once traveled through Houston (probably has 50 stations) and hit the scan button. The scan produced one station in Spanish. The clock runs fast, about 5 minutes per month. AM reception is non-existant. Yes, it's hooked up to the antenna. First unit was actually worse.
Bottom line - don't buy Eclipse.
The only great component I have is an JBL Stealthbox. BoomBoomBoom!

Old 10-17-2001, 10:33 PM
KSinLA

Sorry to hear about your bad Eclipse stuff. I just bought a Eclipse HU, the CD5441. Which one do you have?. Man I hope I don't have the problems you are having. So far I love mine. Reception seems to be as good or better thatn the Pioneer I had. Sound is great even with stock speakers. Only downside is that the display is not the flashy but I didn't buy it for looks. Good luck to ya.

Quick Reply: not so clean sound