bad install :(??

Old 09-18-2001, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry bad install :(??

I went to best buy to have my stuff installed (lets say they did not do the best job). it worked great for about a week, all of a sudden the power light on the amp went off and no more sound. I brought it back and they fixed it. they said that the fuse was bad, so they changed it. that worked great until about 4 hours later it did the same thing. no power to the amp. should i get it fixed some were else. or try to fix the fuse myself. Im not a wiz with this kind of stuff. If so were is the fuse located and how do I do it. any help would be great...thanks

(MTXthunder4122 amp)
(EXTANT 10"duel voic coil sub.)
(98 expy)

Old 09-18-2001, 11:01 PM
there is fuses on the amp and one near the battery. hope that helps

Old 09-19-2001, 10:25 AM
Alf
But wait, if your amp keeps blowing fuses something is wrong big time. It could be a faulty connection, or the amp is overloaded or something of that sort.

I would take it to a reputable stereo shop and have them look at it, and stay away from the best buys and the circuit citys.

Alf

Old 09-19-2001, 11:07 AM
Check to see if the amp is grounded real well

Old 09-19-2001, 01:39 PM
i gotta agree with alf. if you keep blowing fuses, something is wrong. thats why the fuse is there to act as a safety device.

You say that you are running an MTX 4122. that amp is a 2 ch model rated at 30wx2. You also say you are running an extant dual voice coil sub. If the sub is wired paralell (2ohm load) and the amp is run in bridged mode that presents a 2ohm mono load or 1 ohm stereo. the amp CAN NOT handle this. Thus it overheats or otherwise goes into protection mode and blows the fuse. Sorry but that amp and sub can not work together like that.

I have heard quite a few horror stories about installers at best buy and circuit city. IMO its just not worth it. Find a reputable shop and give them your business and a good laugh!

Old 09-19-2001, 01:53 PM
I agree!

Best Buys and Circuit City should stick to just selling, instead of selling and installation. Sometimes they can't even get the selling part right. Half the sales people have no clue what there talking about. A clueless customer would buy into what some of these nitwits tell them, when they have no clue themselves. IMHO. I just went an did some homework, I knew what Iwanted, an what I was looking to get out of my system, an installed it myself. This way you KNOW it's right. It's a pain in the a$$. But, well worth it.

Old 09-24-2001, 12:15 PM
Make sure they but a in-line fuse in when they installed it. This is the fuse that is between the battery and amp ( should be under hood close to battery). If they did not do that, get one. If thats not the problem I would take it to a shop. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bad install :(??