broke antenna in base mount-replace

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broke antenna in base mount-replace

Saw an old thread from 2008. I had same problem and dealer quoted me almost $300. no way. So I tried the tap out idea which didn't work but was able to drill out enough to get a new antenna mast to stand in the roughed out hole. I used some JB Weld and I get ok reception on a few channels but I am now wanting it fixed. Once you remove everything how hard is it for the wire lead to pull out of the bottom mount?

Here were instructions from 2008 thread:
So the way this should work is:
1) Pop the plastic cover off the antenna mount.
2) Unscrew 3 phillips screws that fasten the mount to the fender.
3) unplug the wire lead from the bottom of the mount. (Caution here - be certain to pre tape a string or some other way of grasping the lead because it is so tight, that when loosened from the mount, it will pop down inside between the outer and inner fenders and you'll have to fish for it.) My next adventure.
4) plug the lead into the bottom of your new mount, reaffix the 3 screws, pop plastic cover back on and screw in the antenna mast. Your done!

Old 03-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It it very easy to do, about an hours work. I just did this last week. I may wire this up.

Here are instructions for replacing it:
1) Pop the plastic cover off the antenna mount.
2) Unscrew 3 screws that fasten the mount to the fender.
3) Unplug the antenna wire lead from behind the glove box.
4) Tape a string to the end of the wire. Electricians tape works great.
5) Push rubber grommet through the fire wall. You can't get to it through the glove box, but if you look under the dash, it is right there on the floor. A large screw driver works good.
6) Pull the wire out of the fender, and take it off the string. Just cut the string at the antenna.
7) Tape string to new antenna and pull it back through the fire wall via the floor access. The end of the wire lead pokes through the fire wall about the same time the rubber grommet goes through the fender. Remember to put a little bit of silicone on the rubber grommet. Next follow the string to route the wire through the glove box.
8) Set the grommet and plug in the wire lead behind the glove box.
9) Replace three screws, plastic cap and new antenna.

I hope this helps. I have some pictures in my gallery of the install.

Quick Reply: broke antenna in base mount-replace