The Start of a New System

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Start of a New System

I'm slowly piecing together a system for my 2010 F150 scab. Although I've been in audio for over 20 years, this is my first attempt at putting anything in my truck. I wanted to share a few of the choices I've been making and see if anyone has any opinions or comments.

It seems like it would be best to layout out some goals I have for this system. They are not in any particular order.

1. I want the system to appear as stock as possible. The only exception would be mounting component tweeters in the front doors.

2. Sound quality is more important to me than SPL. Although, admittedly, this project started after I got frustrated at trying to hear a song driving down the highway at 80 with the windows down. Living in Michigan, we only get a few days a year where we can actually have the windows down, I want to take full advantage! I have no interest in being heard a mile away.

3. I'm after a very high value system. That is, one that isn't overly expensive, but sounds great. (I know, this one may seem obvious)

4. I don't want to tinker with this system. I have no issue tuning it until it sounds the way I want, but I don't plan to continue to swap gear in and out or make changes to the system (which is completely different than the home audio side for me)

I have purchased a JL Audio 8w3v3 subwoofer and I built a custom box that is sealed and down firing and sits underneath the 40 seat in the back.

I have purchased an Alpine PDR V75 5 channel amplifier to support the subwoofer and the four door speakers.

I plan to purchase an audio control LC7i to pull signal from the head unit. I could use some help here. A local dealer recommended that I use the PAC PDLC81 (that's what they sell). I can't really find much of a comparison on the net between the PAC and the audio control. I know the LC7i gets really good reviews and a ton of people use it. I can get either for about the same amount of money.

I will be installing the sub, amp, LOC, and wiring harness first to get things going. This will include wiring the factory speakers to the amplifier. As dollars permit, I will be adding a component set, likely from JL or Focal for the front speakers. The rears will be 5x7, but those are undetermined at this point.

Since I have never done an install like this, I really have two concerns. One, taking the truck apart and putting it back together without damaging anything. I will probably purchase a trim removal kit to make the job easier. I have scanned you tube and found numerous videos of people pulling their dash and doors apart. Those have been helpful.

My second concern is eliminating buzz, hums, or pops. I've heard that can be a nightmare. I have worked with home audio and pro audio for a long time, so I understand typical wiring procedures (power lines away from line level cables, etc), but I don't want to make many mistakes if I can avoid it!

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Last edited by s7horton; 06-07-2015 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:53 PM
For the line out converter I'd recommend the LC7i because it has the Accubass feature. That helps restore the low end that the stock head unit cuts out as volume increases progressively versus the PAC where it looks like wherever you set the bass level at is where it stays.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback. That was one of the reasons I was considering the LC7i. The other is simply that there just isn't that much info on the PAC -or people using it for that matter.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm still in the process of building this system, but thought I would update this thread.

I purchased an Audio Control LC7i, a metra BT5520 wiring harness, a pair of JL C3 650's for the front, and C2 570x for the rear. The amp and LC7i have been installed on the rear wall of the truck. All my power and ground lines are run. What's left is to install the speakers and speaker wires.

A local shop will be assisting me with that. I just don't have interest in screwing up any of the door panels. I'll be mounting the tweeters in the door sails, although JL recommends keeping the tweeter and midbass closer together than that, I've seen many people do it this way.

All this effort, and I haven't heard the system at all yet. It'll be pretty cool to fire it up for the first time this week.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:33 AM
Good call on going with the LC7i. I just recently installed a small sub in my truck and tried it with a cheap LOC I had laying around and it was pretty lacking. I picked up one of the audio control units and installed it and it made a world of difference.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:05 PM
I couldn't take it any longer and fired up the LC7i, alpine amp, JL sub, and JL C2 570's in the back. They are not installed yet, I just quick built some temp boxes out of MDF while I'm waiting for the install.

One thing was clear to me, it's going to take some tweaking to get the system dialed in. Now is not the time to make any judgements, since the key components of the system aren't even installed, but I wasn't totally thrilled with the bass. I'm looking for less "teenager obnoxious bass" and more appropriate filling in of the bottom end. The bass doesn't seem to be nearly as refined as I was hoping with the JL 8W3v3.

Like I said, I have no right to judge anything yet... but, it's hard to not fire things up and give a listen. I'll report back more later and actually post some pics to prove I actually did some work.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 PM
A couple of pics for those following the thread... I'm interested in swapping out the LC7i for an LCQ1 since that has EQ capabilities, and also I'd like to move to a JL 10TW3 in lieu of the 8W3v3. I'm still working on tweaking the best I can.

Name:  image_zpsn4jgjqj4.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  205.2 KB
Name:  image_zpsgdsttj6d.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  139.5 KB

Quick Reply: The Start of a New System